Amritsar, May 13: Last year on May 13, Baba Hardev Singh who is also known as Nirankari Baba, died in a car crash in Montreal, Canada. Today, it is Baba Hardev Singh’s first death anniversary which is observed as a day of mourning among Nirankari sect, in Sikh community. Baba Hardev Singh, a head of Nirankari sect, was a widely known religious figure among the Sikh community. On Saturday, the members of Nirankari sect had arranged a gathering to mark the first death anniversary of the legend.Also Read - Preacher leading congregation among 3 killed in Amritsar grenade attack
The first death anniversary of Baba Hardev Singh is known as “Sampurn Diwas”. Across the world, a large number of people attached with Nirankari sect will be present at the countrywide Nirankari headquarter on Saturday evening. Also in Delhi, the “Sampurn Divas” will be carried out at Outer Road, near Burari Marg – Nirankari Chowk at around 5 pm on Saturday. Also Read – Baba Hardev Singh, Chief Priest of Nirankari sect, killed in a road accident in Canada Also Read - Sant Nirankari Mission Head Mata Savinder Dies at 61
All you need to know the legacy of Baba Hardev Singh: Also Read - Sant Nirankari Mission chief Baba Hardev Singh cremated at Nigambodh Ghat in New Delhi; thousands attend funeral procession
- Baba Hardev Singh also known as Nirankari Baba, was an Indian spiritual guru and chief of the Sant Nirankari Mission from 1980 to 2016.
- Nirankari Baba Hardev Singh died in a car crash on the morning of May 13, 2016, in a car accident. The car crash also claimed the life of his son-in-law Avneet Setia.
- Following his death, President Pranab Mukherjee, Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Home Minister Rajnath Singh, and Congress leader Sonia Gandhi expressed their grief over the sudden demise.
- Two days after his death, Baba Hardev Singh was cremated at Nigambodh Ghat crematorium.
- Baba Hardev Singh was the fourth spiritual head of the Nirankari sect and after his demise, his wife – Sawinder Kaur – was chosen as the fifth leader of the mission.
- Baba Hardev Singh was born on February 23, 1954. His father Gurbachan Singh was the third leader of the mission.
- Singh completed his schooling from Rosary school and later graduated from Delhi University.
- In 1975, Baba Hardev Singh married Sawinder Kaur during an annual Nirankari Sant Samagram held in Delhi.
- In 1980, soon after the assassination of Gurbachan Singh, Hardev Singh was crowned as the next Nirankari chief.
- In 2005, Baba Hardev Singh established the Nirankari Museum in Sant Nirankari Sarovar complex in New Delhi.
- The Sant Nirankari Mission was founded in 1929, by Baba Buta Singh who previously belonged to the Nirankari sect. As of 2017, the organisation has more than 2000centres and millions of worldwide followers.