New Delhi: In a remarkable judgement after seven long years, the Delhi Court on Tuesday issued a death warrant against all four convicts in the gruesome Nirbhaya gangrape case. The four accused will be executed on January 22 at 7 AM in Delhi’s Tihar Jail.
Pronouncing the order, Additional Sessions Judge Satish Kumar Arora said that the convicts can use their legal remedies within 14 days. Meanwhile, the convicts’ lawyer said that they will file a curative petition in the Supreme Court.
Speaking to reporters outside Delhi’s Patiala House Court, Asha Devi, mother of the 2012 gangrape victim, said, “My daughter has got justice. Execution of the 4 convicts will empower the women of the country. This decision will strengthen the trust of people in the judicial system.”
Reacting to the court’s judgement, Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal said, “I hope people who misbehave with women learn from this that they will not be spared.”
The order comes after a hearing earlier in the day on the plea of one of the convict’s parents seeking to expedite the procedure to hang the four accused.
Notably, the four accused facing the gallows are Pawan Kumar Gupta, Akshay Kumar Thakur, Vinay and Mukesh Singh. The main accused, Ram Singh, had allegedly committed suicide in Tihar Jail during the trial.
The counsel for two of the convicts Mukesh Singh and Vinay Sharma said they were in process of filing a curative petition in the Supreme Court. The top court had on December 20 dismissed an application for review petition filed by convict Pawan Kumar Gupta’s father.