New Delhi: The Supreme Court will on Thursday hear the plea of one of the 2012 Nirbhaya gangrape case convicts, Vinay Sharma, challenging the rejection of his mercy plea by President Ram Nath Kovind. Also Read - What About My Rights? Nirbhaya's Mother Breaks Down Inside Court As Hearing For Fresh Date of Execution is on

On February 1, the President rejected Sharma’s plea in the Nirbhaya gangrape and murder case. Also Read - Nirbhaya Case: Convict Vinay Sharma Moves SC Challenging Rejection of Mercy Plea

Earlier in the day, Nirbhaya’s mother Asha Devi, broke down inside the courtroom as she pleaded with her folded hands to issue the death warrant to the Nirbhaya convicts. Also Read - Nirbhaya Gangrape Case: Delhi Court Rejects Tihar Jail's Request to Hang Convicts on February 20

“I am standing with folded hands. Please issue the death warrant. I am also a human being. It’s been more than seven years,” Asha Devi said as the court was hearing her plea seeking a fresh date for the execution of the four convicts — Mukesh, Pavan, Akshay and Vinay.

On Tuesday, Nirbhaya’s parents filed a fresh plea in Patiala House Court, seeking a new date for death warrant for the convicts. The convicts were making a mockery of the legal system, her parents had alleged.

The court had on January 31 stayed “till further orders” execution of the four convicts in the case. The first order for execution of death sentence, issued on January 7 for January 22, was stayed on January 17. The second warrant, issued on January 17, for February 1 was stayed on January 31. In both the cases, mercy pleas were pending before the President.

On February 5, the High Court told the convicts to exhaust all legal remedies within a week.

In the incident which sent shockwaves across the country, a 23-year-old paramedic student was raped and brutally assaulted on the intervening night of December 16-17, 2012 inside a moving bus in south Delhi by six persons, before being thrown out on the road. She was later taken to Singapore’s Mount Elizabeth Hospital where she succumbed to her injuries on December 29, 2012.