New Delhi, May 5: Nirbhaya would have turned 28 on May 10, had  she been alive today to celebrate. The young physiotherapy intern would have been somewhere different practicing her profession, making her parents proud! But she did make and the whole country proud by keeping her fight on against the men who left her and each one of us shattered until she could take it no more. Nirbhaya gave up on the night of December 29, 2012, just a few hours before the world was gearing up for a new year, a new beginning. Also Read - SDMC Opens Delhi's 'First Shoe Bank' in Subhash Nagar | See Pictures Here

Today, she would have been a doctor, a mother and would have been living a normal life, travelling around, meeting friends, laughing over stuff, reading books, going to movies, enjoying like we all do. But it was taken from her, in a matter just a few minutes. That was a day which for forever changed the way the world had looked at India, the land of spirituality, and raised questions on the security of women in the country. (Also Read: Nirbhaya gangrape case: Supreme Court upholds death sentence of four convicts) Also Read - 'Sushant Singh Rajput Marg': Road in South Delhi to be Named After SSR, Fans Rejoice

It was on December 17 when the world woke up to the news of a female physiotherapy intern’s gang rape on the streets of Delhi in a moving bus. The incident was to go to the back of the memory lane like many others that keep happening to the Indian women but it didn’t. The brutality of the incident was such that it dragged on and on for years until the convicts were given death penalty. The security of women in the country is being questioned so much that other countries even issue an advisory before they travel to India. (Also Read: Indian women, guilty now and forever, in India: No country for women) Also Read - Halal or Jhatka? Please Write on Wall: SDMC Tells Delhi Eateries to Display What Meat Being Served

On the night of December 16, 23-year-old Nirbhaya was beaten, gang raped and tortured in a private bus in which she was travelling with her friend. The incident had happened in Munirka, South Delhi. The victim had apparently accepted a ride with her friend after it had started getting dark and was later tossed on the road with an intention of running the bus over her but was pulled aside by her male friend.

As per the medical reports, she suffered grave injuries to her abdomen, intestines and genitals and there were numerous bite marks all over her body. She succumbed to her injuries on December 29, 2012. Today, the Supreme Court upheld the Delhi High Court order which had sentenced the convicts to death.