New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday launched the ‘Fit India Movement’, on the occasion of National Sports Day, in a bid to urge people to make physical activities and sports an important part of their lives.
The launch event was held at Indira Gandhi Indoor Stadium, New Delhi, at 10 AM and broadcasted live at Doordarshan. The Prime Minister also delivered an address and administered a fitness pledge to the participants.
PM Modi’s ‘Fit India Movement’ Live Updates:
- PM has reached Indira Gandhi Indoor Stadium in the national capital.
- PM Modi starts his address at the launch event.
- PM Modi launches ‘Fit India Movement’, says, “raise awareness about the importance of fitness.”
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi, while launching the fitness movement from Indira Gandhi Stadium, says, “On this day a great sportsperson was born, Major Dhyan Chand. He amazed the world with his his fitness, stamina, and hockey stick.”
- PM Modi says, “I give you an example of how times have changed. Till a few decades ago, a normal person used to walk 8-10 kilometers in a day. Then gradually technology changed, modern means came and the person’s walking was reduced.”
- “What is the situation now? Technology has made us in such a condition that we are running low and now the same technology tells us to count that today you have walked so many steps, 5 thousand steps have not been done yet, 2 thousand steps have not been done, now and let’s go, ” Narendra Modi said.
- Modi says that the root cause of diseases is lifestyle disorders. “Lifestyle disorders can be corrected by making small changes. To inform the people of the country about these changes is the objective of the movement,” Modi asserts.
- It is surprising, but we know very little about our body, our strengths, our weaknesses: PM Shri Narendra Modi
- “When we embark on our journey of fitness, we begin to understand our body better. I have seen many people who have known and recognized the power of their body. It has also boosted his confidence, which has helped him in building a better personality,” PM Modi says.
- PM Modi says, “Swasth vyakti, swasth parivar aur swasth samaj, yahi naye Bharat ko shresth Bharat banane ka raasta hai.”
During his Mann ki Baat programme, on Sunday, PM Modi had appealed to people to take part in ‘Fit India Movement’ on August 29, while emphasising on healthy lives we must lead.
An advisory committee comprising members of Indian Olympic Association (IOA), national sports federations (NSFs), government officials, private bodies and celebrated fitness enthusiasts was formed on August 22 to advise the government on the “Fit India Movement”.
A statement from the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports said that the nation-wide launch of the movement will inculcate physical activities/sports into daily life of citizens in order to improve their physical fitness and well-being.
Accordingly, an advisory committee was also being constituted with members of government, Sports Authority of India (SAI), IOA and NSFs like Athletics Federation of India, All India Football Federation, Cycling Federation of India and so on.