Stone-pelting, Firing as Violent Clashes Erupt in Patiala During Anti-Khalistan Protest; Curfew Imposed | Key Points
"Seeing the problem of law and order here, police have been deployed. We are speaking with Shiv Sena's (one of the two groups) chief Harish Singla as they don't have any permission for the march", said DSP, Patiala.
New Delhi: In the wake of violent clashes, a curfew has been imposed in the Patiala from 7 pm, Thursday. The prohibitory orders will remain in effect till 6 am tomorrow. Meanwhile, heavy deployment of security personnel can be seen near Kali Devi Mandir in Patiala as a clash broke out between Shiv Sena and Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) workers during an anti-Khalistan protest earlier in the day. Four people are reported to have suffered injuries in the clashes. A video of the clash is being widely circulated on social media. In the video, pro-Khalistan supporters can be seen brandishing swords at Shiv Sena workers.
- Golden Temple, Wagah Border to Harike Wetlands and Bird Sanctuary, Must Visit Places in Punjab - Watch Video
- Patiala Clash: After Peace Committee Meeting, Punjab Lifts Curfew, Restores Internet Services | Key Points
- Peace Committee Meeting held in Patiala Following Clashes During ‘anti-Khalistan Protest’
#WATCH | Punjab: A clash broke out between two groups near Kali Devi Mandir in Patiala today.
Police personnel deployed at the spot to maintain law and order situation. pic.twitter.com/yZv2vfAiT6
— ANI (@ANI) April 29, 2022
You may like to read
Here’s What Happened So Far
- Curfew imposed in Patiala from 7 pm today, 29th April to 6 am tomorrow, 30th April.
- Many people have been arrested as well. The Punjab govt & police will take strict action against those behind this violence. The masterminds of these political parties will not be spared, said AAP Rajya Sabha MP Raghav Chadha.
- Speaking to reporters, AAP MP Raghav Chadha said that the anti-social elements of both parties got involved in this clash, created violence & attempted to soil the atmosphere of Punjab. “Any person attempting to disturb Punjab’s peace will not be spared. Police have restored law & order immediately”, he added.
- The district administration has asked the residents to maintain peace and harmony. Furthermore, it has urged the two groups to resolve their “dispute or misunderstanding” through talks.
- “Peace and harmony is central to all our religions and their basic ethos. Even if there is any dispute or misunderstanding, it is important to resolve it by dialogue. As such, the District Administration appeals to all brothers and sisters of Patiala and Punjab to continue to maintain peace and brotherhood. The present situation is under control and being continuously monitored. All measures are being taken to ensure peace and harmony,” Patiala District Commissioner Sakshi Sawhney said in a statement.
- The incident of clashes in Patiala is deeply unfortunate. I spoke with DGP, peace has been restored in the area. We’re closely monitoring the situation & won’t let anyone create disturbance in the State. Punjab’s peace and harmony are of utmost importance, said Punjab CM Bhagwant Mann.
The incident of clashes in Patiala are deeply unfortunate. I spoke with the DGP, peace has been restored in the area. We are closely monitoring the situation and will not let anyone create disturbance in the State. Punjab’s peace and harmony is of utmost importance.
— Bhagwant Mann (@BhagwantMann) April 29, 2022
- “Seeing the problem of law and order here, police have been deployed. We are speaking with Shiv Sena’s (one of the two groups) chief Harish Singla as they don’t have any permission for the march”, said DSP, Patiala.
- Notably, Shiv Sena had decided to organize a protest march after Khalistani terrorist Gurpatwant Singh Pannu issued a decree to put flags on DC offices in Haryana today. For the unversed, April 29 is Khalistan Foundation Day.
For breaking news and live news updates, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram. Read more on Latest India News on India.com.