New Delhi: Four days after evacuating 218 stranded Indians from Italy, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) on Thursday said that the officials are planning to bring back the rest of the stranded citizens from there over the weekend. Also Read - Coronavirus Outbreak: Centre Asks Employees to Work From Home, Staggered Hours Till April 4
“We are planning to evacuate the next batch of Indians from Italy this weekend, further details are being worked out with the civil aviation ministry,” Dammu Ravi of the MEA said. Also Read - Coronavirus Pandemic: From Mikel Arteta to Callum Hudson-Odo, More Than 30 Footballers Test Positive For Deadly Virus
On Sunday, a total of 218 Indians, including 211 students, stranded in coronavirus-hit Italy had arrived in India. Giving further information, Minister of State for External Affairs V Muraleedharan had said that all of them are being quarantined for 14 days. Also Read - Coronavirus Pandemic: No Sporting Events in India Till April 15, Says Kiren Rijiju
As per updates, Italy on Wednesday reported 475 new deaths from the novel coronavirus, the highest one-day official toll of any nation since the first case was detected in China late last year.
Holding a press conference, Ravi said that Indian nationals who have tested positive for COVID-19 in Iran are in proper medical care and also recovering.
“We have evacuated 590 people from Iran where the situation is very severe. Indians infected with coronavirus in Iran have been segregated and taken care of very well. We believe they will recover and we will bring them back,” Ravi added.
He also further added that the MEA is strengthening the COVID-19 control room. “Right now 25-30 people are working in the control room. They work in shifts. We are getting about 400 e-mails and 1000 calls in a day,” he added.