New Delhi, Dec 13: On December 13, 2001, five heavily-armed Lashkar-e- Taiba (Let) and Jaish-e- Mohammed (JeM) terrorists forced their way in the Indian Parliament complex which led to the deaths of 9 persons. Today marks the 15th anniversary of the heinous attack.Also Read - CRPF Recruitment 2021: Salary up to Rs 85000 Per Month, Apply Now For 60 Specialist MO & GDMO Posts on crpf.gov.in
Prime Minister Narendra Modi paid tributes to those who sacrificed their lives defending Parliament House on this day in the year 2001. He placed a wreath at the plaque in the Parliament House complex. Also Read - Breaking News Highlights: PM Modi An Incarnation of Almighty, Says UP Minister Upendra Tiwari
“Salutations to the martyrs who sacrificed their lives during the 2001 Parliament attack. Their bravery will never be forgotten,” PM Narendra Modi tweeted later. The Members of Parliament and leaders from other political parties too paid homage to the deceased security personnel. Also Read - Breaking News Highlights: Modi Govt has a Zero Tolerance Policy Against Terrorism, Says Amit Shah
Today, on the 15th anniversary of the attack, let’s know all about the 2001 Parliament attack:
1. 5 heavily-armed terrorists stormed in the Parliament House compound 40 minutes after the Parliament was adjourned and opened unsystematic fire.
2. Although the then PM Atal Bihari Vajpayee and Leader of Opposition Sonia Gandhi had already left the Parliament, about 100 MPs including Home Minister LK Advani were still inside the building.
3. Apparently, the terrorists had used fake stickers on their car to breach the security deployed at the Parliament.
4. The gun battle continued for an hour which was broadcast live on news channels.
5. Constable Kamlesh Kumari Yadav of CRPF who was the first to spot the terrorists was also killed in the attack.
6. The martyrs included two people from the Parliament Security Service of the Rajya Sabha, five Delhi Police Personnel, a woman constable of CRPF and a gardener of CPWD.
7. The attack also led to the deaths of the five terrorists. The names of the terrorists given by Delhi Police were Hamza, Haider alias Tufail, Rana, Ranvijay and Mohammed.