New Delhi: Amid rising cases of the deadly coronavirus in South Asia, Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s proposed visit to Bangladesh on March 17, has now been cancelled. On Sunday, Bangladesh confirmed its first batch of coronavirus cases as three people, tested positive for the virus, reported India Today. Also Read - Ahead of PM Modi's Visit, Bangladesh Confirms Its First 3 Cases of Coronavirus

The Institute of Epidemiology, Disease Control and Research of Bangladesh Government confirmed that two men and a woman in the country had been tested positive for the coronavirus and were undergoing treatment in an isolation ward of a hospital. Also Read - ‘No Need to Panic, Sufficient Arrangements Have Been Made,’ Says Adityanath on Coronavirus



In the wake of the virus threat, the Bangladesh government has decided to cancel the celebrations for Sheikh Mujibur Rehman’s centenary birth anniversary on March 17.

“We have redesigned the event….it’s a year-long celebration. The celebration will continue throughout the year but we will avoid large public gatherings …Since we have many smaller events later in the year, foreign dignitaries have the option of attending later,” Kamal Abdul Chowdhury, the Chairman of the Celebration Committee said.



Meanwhile, the pressure was also mounting on the Hasina government to withdraw the invitation to PM Modi owing to protests that erupted in Bangladesh, triggered by recent Delhi violence.

The PM was scheduled to visit Dhaka at the invitation of his Bangladeshi counterpart Sheikh Hasina to attend the centenary celebrations of Bangladesh founder Sheikh Mujibur Rahman.

During the visit, PM Modi is expected to assuage Bangladesh’s concerns over the Citizenship (Amendment) Act and the National Register of Citizens (NRC).

Modi’s visit to Brussels this month to hold a summit meeting with the European Union has also been postponed in view of the global spread of coronavirus.