New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the newly renovated and widened Rae Bareli-Fatehpur-Banda section of NH-232 at an event in Rae Bareli on Sunday. The highway is expected to bring down the pollution level by reducing traffic congestion, and thereby a cutting down the fuel consumption. The Rae Bareli Stretch would likely bring up employment opportunities in the area and boost socio-economic development. Also Read - Indian Armed Forces Can Strike on Terrorist Havens Anywhere, Anytime: PM Modi in Jaisalmer
Here are some facts you need to know about Rae Bareli Stretch: Also Read - Changes Underway in All Sectors to Make This Decade India's: PM Modi During UoM's 100th Convocation
1) The National Highways Authority of India took over the dilapidated highway in 2013 for renovation purpose. Also Read - PM Modi Calls For Speedy Testing, Continued Vigilance Against COVID-19 Pandemic
2) The renovated Rae Bareli stretch of National Highway 232 is 133 km.
3) The stretch provides a significant link among the mining areas of Bundelkhand, pilgrimage centre Chitrakoot, the state capital Lucknow and Purvanchal areas in Uttar Pradesh.
4) The newly widened highway is set to reduce travel time from Banda to Rae Bareli to 2.5 hours from 7 to 8 hours.
5) Currently, the highway witnesses heavy traffic with vehicles carrying construction material.
6) The two-lane highway with paved shoulder includes a 4-lane stretch of 2 km in the urban part of Banda city.
7) The total cost of the project after its completion was about Rs 558 crore, according to the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways.
8)The highway has an 11 km bypass for Fatehpur city and a 5 km one for Lalganj, Rae Bareli.
9) The highway section has two Rail-Over-Bridges (ROB) at Lalganj and Fatehpur constructed using Bow String Girder technology to prevent traffic jams on the Delhi Kolkata Railway Trunk Route.
10) Apart from the small structures, the highway section contains a bridge over river Sai spanning 90 metre and two vehicular underpasses.
The Prime Minister’s maiden visit to Rae Bareli is seen as BJP’s strategy to pin the Congress leadership in the 2019 general election. Former Congress chief and UPA (United Progressive Alliance) chairperson Sonia Gandhi is the representative of Rae Bareli in the Lok Sabha.
Earlier in the day, Prime Minister Narendra Modi flagged-off the 900th coach and a Humsafar Rake of the Modern Coach Factory. He also inaugurated projects worth Rs 1,100 crore besides the Rae Bareli stretch of National Highway 232.
(With Agency inputs)