Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday inaugurated the Shillong-Nongstoin-Rongjeng-Tura Road in Shillong, Meghalaya and Tuirial Hydropower Project in Aizawl along with several other development projects in these states. He spoke about the beauty of north-east and its potential for national growth and praised the DoNER ministry.
Here are top quotes from the addresses in the inauguration events
- “Today we gather here to celebrate a significant mile-stone in the history of Mizoram, the completion and dedication of the 60 Mega-Watt Tuirial hydropower project. It is the first large hydropower project in Mizoram which will boost the socio-economic development of the state,” the Prime Minister said while addressing a public rally here
- “There has been over 150 ministerial visits and our initiative- the Ministry for Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER) at your doorstep, has added impetus to the development of the Northeast. You don’t have to send your grievances to Delhi (Central Government), as authorities from Delhi will come to you themselves.”
- “I admire the beauty of Mizoram and friendly nature of the people of this state. We have taken forward this vision and are devoting resources for the progress of the Northeast,” the Prime Minister said
- “We are betting on the skills and strengths of India’s youth. We believe in ’empower through enterprise’ – which is creating the right ecosystem for innovation and enterprise to flourish so that our land is home to the next big ideas that can transform humanity.”
- “In the spirit of ‘Sabka Saath Sabka Vikaas’, every Indian, irrespective of caste, gender, religion, class must have equal opportunities to partake in the new prosperity. Vision of ‘New India’ can be realised only if fruits of development reach all,” Modi said
- “It is said that the lack of connectivity is one of the biggest hurdles in the path of development of the North Eastern region. My government wants to do ‘Transformation by Transportation’ through investment in infrastructure to change the face of the North Eastern region.”
- “The Government of India is executing 15 New Rail Line projects of 1,385 kilometers length, at a cost of over Rs 47,000 crore.”
- High literacy rate, scenic beauty and availability of large English speaking population in Mizoram make for a perfect blend to develop the state as a model tourist destination, he said
Noteworthy that Modi’s visit to Mizoram and Meghalaya comes ahead of the Mizoram legislative assembly elections, which is expected to take place in 2018.