New Delhi, July 17: Polling for the Presidential Election is going on. Many notable political personalities have cast their votes. This includes Prime Minister Narendra Modi, BJP President Amit Shah and many other party leaders. Also Read - 'Declare India a Hindu Rashtra': Ayodhya Mahant Writes Letter to President, Threatens to End Life If 7 Demands Not Met | Read
Meanwhile, Mulayam Singh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav have gone against their party line as they have announced support for NDA candidate Ram Nath Kovind. Here is all you need to know about the election to the Presidential election. Also Read - President Kovind, PM Modi, Others Extend Greetings To Nation On Guru Nanak Jayanti
- In Presidential Elections, all elected representatives of Parliament, and MLAs of all the state assemblies votes, which together form the electoral college.
- The value of votes vary. The value of votes of each parliamentarian is 708. The value of votes of state legislatures varies according to the population of the state. For instance, Uttar Pradesh will have the maximum votes in the country as it is the most populous state of the country.
- The date of the polling was July 17.
- The date of counting is July 20.
- The NDA government has fielded former Bihar governor Ram Nath Kovind as its candidate. He is also a constitutional expert and comes from Dalit community. Kovind has been a BJP leader and is a non-controversial figure.
- In response, Congress-led Opposition block has fielded Meira Kumar as its candidate. She is the daughter of Babu Jagjivan Ram. She is also a Dalit and has been a Congress leader all her life. She was also a Lok Sabha speaker during UPA’s tenure.
- The NDA candidate Kovind is set to win as reportedly 63 per cent of votes will be cast in his favour.
- Meira Kumar has just 34 per cent support.
- All eyes will be on cross-voters.
- President Pranab Mukherjee will demit office on July 24.
- The Chief Justice of India will make the new president take an oath of office. (Also read: President Pranab Mukherjee to Demit Office on July 24: A Look Back at His 5 Years in Office)
Congress President Sonia Gandhi has been working to stitch a pre-2019 Mahagathabandhan against the BJP that appears to be the favourites for the next election. However, many parties from the Opposition block has pledged support for Kovind. The results will be out on July 20. Also Read - Rs 1 Crore Fine, 5 Years in Jail: Centre Brings New Law to Tackle Air Pollution in Delhi-NCR