New Delhi: While condemning Thursday’s Pulwama attack, China has refused to back India’s request to list terror outfit Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM) chief Masood Azhar as a global terrorist by the United Nations. (Also read: India Withdraws Most Favoured Nation Status Given to Pakistan)

China’s Foreign Ministry spokesperson Geng Shuang said, “We are deeply shocked by this attack. We offer our condolences and sympathies to the injured and families of the bereaved. We firmly oppose and strongly condemn all form of terrorism.”

“We hope all relevant regional countries will cooperate to deal with the threat of terrorism and jointly uphold the regional peace and stability,” he said.

“As to the issue of the listing, a committee of the Security Council has clear stipulations on the listing and the procedure of terrorist organization and individuals and the JeM, which has taken the responsibility of the attack, has been included on the Security Council counter-terrorism list,” he said.

“As to the listing of the individual, we have always dealt with the issue in an earnest, professional and responsible manner,” he added.

Later in the day, Chinese Envoy to India Luo Zhaohui said that Chinese State Councilor and FM Wang Yi wrote to External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and condemned the Pulwama attack. Both of them expressed deep sympathy to families of victims and injured, and stressed that China resolutely opposes and strongly condemned all forms of terrorism.

JeM – a Pakistan-based outfit – had claimed responsibility for the attack in Pulwama district.

Earlier in the day, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said Pakistan will have to pay a heavy price for the terror attack in Pulwama a day after a car bomber belonging to the Jaish-e-Mohammad killed 40 CRPF jawans.

The Government has also announced it will withdraw the most favoured nation tag given to Pakistan, effectively closing down trade further between the two countries.