Srinagar: The security forces averted a major incident of a vehicle-borne improvised explosive device (IED) blast due to timely inputs and actions of Pulwama Police, the CRPF and the Army this morning. Notably, a vehicles carrying over 40-45 kgs of explosives was stopped by the police in Jammu and Kashmir’s Pulwama.Also Read - One Arrested After Four Civilians Injured In Grenade Attack In J&K's Srinagar

A few rounds of bullets were fired by the forces after spotting the vehicle. On a closer look, the police found that the driver had escaped. However, he left behind a car laden with IED, which was destroyed by the squad. Few houses in the vicinity were also left damaged in the process. Also Read - HOPE! Lakes Freezing, These Brave Officials In Kashmir Ensure Birds Don't Starve | Photos

“Going a little further the vehicle was abandoned and the driver escaped in the darkness. On closer look, the vehicle was seen to be carrying heavy explosives in a drum on the rear seat,” news agency ANI reported. Also Read - Jammu And Kashmir Imposes Complete Restrictions On Non-Essential Movements During Weekends | Check Guidelines Here

A major Pulwama-like incident could have occured had it not been the timely intervention by the security forces, reports said.

Addressing a presser, Inspector General of Police of Kashmir Vijay Kumar said, “Jaish-e-Mohammed has the main role in this. Hizbul Mujahideen assisted them.” Further, he said that the car may be carrying 40-45 kg of explosives, intended for targeting vehicles of security forces. The police have also summoned expert teams from outside.

“We had received information that a militant of Jaish-e-Mohammed is going to carry out the operation. So we suspect that Adil (occupant of the car carrying IED) – a Hizbul Mujahideen militant is also in touch with Jaish-e-Mohammed,” Kumar added.

Few days ago, intelligence agencies had received inputs that Hizbul Mujahideen was regrouping and planning to strike back within 10 days carrying out large-scale terror strikes across the valley.

The agencies had said as the weakened Hizbul regrouped, its main targets would not just be the security forces deployed in the valley at various places, but it was also planing to carry out arms robberies.

Hizbul top commander Riyaz Naikoo, who headed the Valley unit, was eliminated early this month after a pitch battle just minutes away from his home. The terror group has been planning to avenge Naikoo’s death, a report said.