New Delhi: Reacting sharply to the statement by Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan saying his government would take action against prepetrators of Pulwama terror attack only if India provides evidence of Islamabad’s involvement, the Ministery of External Affairs (MEA) on Tuesday asserted that his ‘offer’ to investigate the ghastly incident if provided proof is nothing more than a ‘lame excuse’. Notably, India’s hard hitting seven-point response came hours after Khan said he would act against the perpetrators of the Pulwama attack if India shares ‘actionable intelligence’.Also Read - Take Note Travelers: E-Passport to Roll Out Soon In India, Says MEA Jaishankar | Key Developments
“We are not surprised that the Prime Minister of Pakistan refuses to acknowledge the attack on our security forces in Pulwama as an act of terrorism. He has neither chosen to condemn this heinous act nor condoled with the bereaved families.” Also Read - History-How Pakistan Became A Toy Of Army Generals
“Disclaiming any link between the terrorist attack and Pakistan is an oft-repeated excuse by Pakistan. The Pakistani Prime Minister has ignored claims made by the Jaish-e-Mohammad, as well as by the terrorist, who perpetrated this heinous crime. It is a well-known fact that Jaish-e-Mohammad and its leader Masood Azhar are based in Pakistan. These should be sufficient proof for Pakistan to take action,”the statement released by the MEA further stated. Also Read - Pakistan Govt Deploys Army to Protect Red Zone As Imran Khan Enters Islamabad
The foreign ministry also lambasted Khan for demanding evidences of Islamabad’s involvement in the attack, stating, “PM of Pakistan has offered to investigate the matter if India provides proof. This is a lame excuse. In the horrific attack in Mumbai on 26/11, proof was provided to Pak. Despite this, case has not progressed for more than 10 years. Likewise, on the terror attack in Pathankot, there has been no progress. Promises of “guaranteed action” ring hollow given the track record of Pak. In this “Naya Pakistan”, Ministers publicly share platforms with terrorists like Hafiz Saeed who have been proscribed by UN.”
The MEA also rebuffed Pakistan’s claims ‘to be the greatest victim of terrorism’ saying,”This is far from the truth. The international community is well acquainted with the reality that Pakistan is the nerve center of terrorism.
Earlier in the day, Khan addressed the media over the Pulwama terror attack and said that he will take action and start a probe if India provides evidence of Islamabad’s involvement.
“My statement is for the Indian government. You (Indian govt) have blamed the Pakistan government without any evidence,” said Khan while addressing the media over the Pulwama terror attack. “It is in our interest that nobody from our soil spreads violence. I want to tell Indian govt that we will take action if evidence is found against anyone from Pakistan,” he stated.
His statement came after Indian security forces, in a joint press conference, slammed Pakistan for providing safe havens to terror groups and confirmed the role of Pakistan Army in the dastardly terror attack in Pulwama.
Last Thursday on Feb 14, 40 CRPF personnel lost thei lives in one of the deadliest terror attacks in Pulwama when a suicide bomber rammed a vehicle carrying over 100 kg of explosives into their bus. Over 2,500 Central Reserve Police Force personnel, many of them returning from leave to rejoin duty in the Valley, were travelling in the convoy of 78 vehicles when they were ambushed on the Srinagar-Jammu highway at Latoomode in Awantipora in south Kashmir.