New Delhi, June 15: Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Friday came down heavily on the RSS and the BJP following the news of two boys being beaten up and then paraded naked for using a well claimed by the upper caste community in Jalgaon, Maharashtra. Gandhi took to Twitter to blame the BJP for the incident which occurred on Sunday last. On Twitter, Gandhi accused RSS and BJP of indulging in poisonous politics and said if people didn’t raise their voice now, future generations won’t forgive them. He said humanity was clutching at straws to save face.

महाराष्ट्र के इन दलित बच्चों का अपराध सिर्फ इतना था कि ये एक “सवर्ण” कुएं में नहा रहे थे।

आज मानवता भी आखरी तिनकों के सहारे अपनी अस्मिता बचाने का प्रयास कर रही है।

RSS/BJP की मनुवाद की नफरत की जहरीली राजनीति खिलाफ हमने अगर आवाज़ नहीं उठाई तो इतिहास हमें कभी माफ नहीं करेगा

— Rahul Gandhi (@RahulGandhi) June 15, 2018

The boys from Matang community (ST) in Maharashtra were thrashed and paraded naked in their village for swimming in a well owned by an ‘upper’ caste person, said DNA. The incident took place at village Wakadi Jalgaon. The water in this well is used for drinking purpose and the well is situated on a farm. Rahul Chandane and Sachin Chandane had gone swimming. On being spotted, they were stripped and thrashed with a belt. (Also read: Dalit Boy Assaulted For Wearing Mojdi in Gujarat)

The incident came to light after a video of the incident went viral. Meanwhile, Durgabai Chandane, mother of these two, filed a complaint against one Pralhad Lohar and Ishwar Joshi. On Monday, the family decided to take back the complaint, saying that it was the boys’ mistake. Speaking to media, Durgabai said, “The well was more than 15 feet deep and since the children could have drowned, we were telling them not to go to the well. It is their mistake and that is why they were beaten up.”

Minister of state (deputy minister) for social justice Dilip Kamble said he had spoken to Superintendent of Police Dattatraya Karale regarding the incident. He said such incidents would not be tolerated and strict action will be initiated against the accused. He said both the accused had been produced before the court on Friday. Police said that the complaint had been registered for assaulting the boys, shooting the video and sharing it on the internet.