Jaipur, June 30: Four labourers died in Rajasthan’s Sirohi district while repairing a tunnel. The labourers were reportedly buried alive under debris, the police told news agency PTI. They got trapped under the debris yesterday due to vibrations generated by a poclain machine working at the site on Beawar-Pindwara national highway. Also Read - Rajasthan Crisis: Ahead of Assembly Session, CM Ashok Gehlot Urges MLAs to Stand With Truth

The family members of the deceased, identified as Devi Singh (32), Uttam Kumar (23), Mahendra Kumar Meena (27) and Mahendra Hiragar (30), have refused to accept the bodies till they are provided compensation by the private firm which was carrying out the repair work, Sirohi collector Babu Lal Meena said. Also Read - Rajasthan News: 11 Pakistan Hindu Migrants Found Dead in Jodhpur, Suicide Suspected

The bodies have been kept at a hospital mortuary and the state government has announced ex gratia for the kin of the deceased, he said. A case has been registered at Sirohi Kotwali police station against the company and the driver of the poclain machine, the police said. Also Read - Muslim Auto Driver Brutally Assaulted For Refusing to Chant 'Jai Shri Ram', 'Modi Zindabad' in Sikar

In an earlier incident on June 12, three labourers died of suspected asphyxiation in a septic tank of an under-construction mall in Bihar’s Purnea district.

Superintendent of Police, Vishal Sharma said the three labourers went inside the septic tank of an under-construction mall located at Rambagh chowk to open the centring of the tank and died probably of asphyxiation. It seems, prima facie, that the labourers died due to asphyxiation, the SP said adding that the post-mortem report would reveal the exact reason of their death.

The bodies have been sent to Sadar hospital for post-mortem, he said. District Labour Superintendent, Alok Ranjan said that Rs one lakh will be paid as ex-gratia to each of the family members of those killed in the incident.

However, the local people alleged that the three labourers died due to electrocution.

(With inputs from PTI)