New Delhi, May 29: Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh on Tuesday clarified that government has not announced any kind of unilateral ceasefire in Jammu and Kashmir during the holy month of Ramzan. While addressing his annual press conference, Singh said,”It wasn’t ceasefire, but suspension of operation in view of Ramzan. But it was clearly said that we’ll resume operation if any terror activity takes place. We haven’t tied hands of our security forces. Our forces killed 5 terrorists when an attack took place.” Also Read - PM Narendra Modi Congratulates US President Joe Biden, Says Looking Forward To Work Together
Earlier also while speaking at BSF Investiture Ceremony, Singh had said,”You (jawans) should not be the first to fire the shot, but once they do, you retaliate, no one will question you and your move.” (Also Read: Pak Rangers Pleaded to Stop Firing Across International Border: BSF) Also Read - China Pakistan Economic Corridor- Part 4- Chinese Mathematics of Debt
On May 16, the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) had asked the security forces not to launch operations against terrorist during the month of Ramzan. However, the Ministry had, clarified that the security forces reserve the right to take retaliatory action if they are attacked or if it is necessary to protect the lives of innocent civilians.
The Home Minister also highlighted the all-round improvement in internal and external security under the Narendra Modi government. He informed, “A total of 619 terrorists in Jammu and Kashmir had been killed in gun battles with security forces so far.”
“There has been no compromise on the unity and integrity of the nation and we are proactively pursuing operations against the terrorist groups and subversive elements,” Singh added, but did not respond to a query on how many security personnel were killed in this period.
He however said that respecting the supreme sacrifice of the security personnel in the line of duty for the nation, the Union Government had scaled uo the ex-gratia sum from Rs 50 lakh to Rs one crore for their families. Rajnath Singh also said that incursions had also decreased during the four years of the Modi government and it had come down by 85 per cent in the northeast.
Compared to a high of 2,418 Maoist incidents under the UPA regime, only 1,481 incidents have taken place in the NDA rule, he said. “In 2013, Maoists were active in 76 districts but there area of influence and operations has shrunk to 58 districts in the last four years,” he added.