Republic Day 2022: Olympian Neeraj Chopra Among This Year’s Param Vishisht Seva Medal Awardees
President Ram Nath Kovind has the names of 384 defence personnel who will be conferred with Gallantry and other awards on the eve of the 73rd Republic Day celebrations.
New Delhi: Tokyo Olympics gold medalist Neeraj Chopra will be awarded the Param Vishisht Seva Medal on the eve of Republic Day on Tuesday evening. Subedar Neeraj Chopra of 4 Rajputana Rifles is the first track and field Indian athlete to win a gold medal in the Olympics. He won a gold for India in the 2021 Olympics for javelin throw.
According to news agency ANI, President Ram Nath Kovind has approved the names of 384 defence personnel who will be conferred with Gallantry and other awards on the eve of the 73rd Republic Day celebrations.
You may like to read
These include 12 Shaurya Chakras, three Bar to Sena Medals (Gallantry), 81 Sena Medals (Gallantry) and two Vayu Sena Medals (Gallantry).
The President will also honour winners of 29 Param Vishisht Seva Medals, 53 Ati Vishisht Seva Medals, 122 Vishisht Seva Medals, four Uttam Yudh Seva Medals, 13 Yudh Seva Medals, 40 Sena Medals (Devotion to Duty), eight Nao Sena Medals (Devotion to Duty), and 14 Vayu Sena Medals (Devotion to Duty) in the evening.
Notably, six Army personnel have been awarded the Shaurya Chakra, the third highest peacetime gallantry award, including five posthumous.
- Havildar Kashiray Bammanalli of Corps of Engineers awarded the Shaurya Chakra (posthumously) for killing a terrorist in an operation around an orchard in Pulwama district of Jammu and Kashmir. The Havildar also saved the lives of his team members during the operation
- Naib Subedar Sreejith M of 17 Madras was awarded the Shaurya Chakra (posthumously) for killing a terrorist in an operation in July 2021 in Jammu and Kashmir while carrying out search operations.
- Havildar Anil Kumar Tomar of the Rajput Regiment awarded the Shaurya Chakra (posthumous) for killing two terrorists while leading a Combat Action Team in Jammu and Kashmir in December 2020.
- Havildar Pinku Kumar of Jat Regiment awarded the Shaurya Chakra (posthumously) for killing a terrorist while blocking their escape route during an operation. He seriously injured another terrorist before laying down his life.
- Sepoy Maruprolu Jaswanth Kumar Reddy awarded the Shaurya Chakra (posthumously) for killing a terrorist in a face to face gunfight in Jammu and Kashmir. He also saved the life of his team Commander during the operation.
- Rifleman Rakesh Sharma of 5 Assam Rifles awarded the Shaurya Chakra for killing two insurgents in an operation in Assam in July 2021.
For breaking news and live news updates, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram. Read more on Latest India News on India.com.