New Delhi, Jan 8: Republic Day 2018 will be celebrated with leaders of all ten Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) countries. Addressing the nation in his ‘Mann Ki Baat’ on December 31, PM Narendra Modi had said that 26th January is a historic festival for the entire country and this time it will be celebrated with the arrival of great leaders of ten nations of the world. He had asserted that the arrival of great leaders of ten nations of the world as a unit is a matter of pride for all citizens of the country.Also Read - Stop Flights From Regions Witnessing New Omicron Variant: Kejriwal Urges PM Modi
The ASEAN countries include Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Myanmar, Cambodia, Laos, and Brunei. Also Read - Planning Lockdown, Urging Flight Ban And Scaling up Testing: How Are Indian States Preparing to Combat Omicron
Check out the list of ASEAN leaders who are invited by PM Modi to grace the R-day event as chief guests . Also Read - #UPSCExtraAttempt: Why Are Civil Service Aspirants Demanding Another Chance?
- Mohammad Najib Razak: In 2017, Malaysian Prime Minister Razak visited India and hold substantive talks with PM Modi. He was sworn into the position on 3 April 2009 to succeed Abdullah Ahmad Badawi. He is the President of the United Malays National Organisation, the leading party in Malaysia’s ruling Barisan Nasional coalition.Business and economic relations between the two countries are quite good.
- Lee Hsien Loong: Singapore PM Lee Hsien Loong who share good rapport with PM Modi is also expected to grace the R-day parade on January 26. He has advocated for India’s strong role in South China Sea many times.
- Joko Widodo: Indonesian President Joko Widodo will be one of the guests of honour at the Republic Day celebrations. Earlier also Widodo had visited India.
- Aung San Suu Kyi: Myanmar’s incumbent State Counsellor, a position akin to a Prime Minister Aung San Suu Kyi had studied at Delhi’s Lady Shri Ram College. She had visited India several times.
- Hun Sen: Cambodia’s Prime Minister Hun Sen is also invited to attend the Republic Day event at Rajpath. Cambodia share close tie with China.
- Haji Hassanal Bolkiah: The Sultan of Brunei, Haji Hassanal Bolkiah, one the richest people in the world will visit India for the first time. On 5 October 2017, Bolkiah celebrated his Golden Jubilee to mark the 50th year of his reign on the Throne.
- Nguyễn Xuân Phúc: Vietanam’s Prime Minister is also expected to visit India and grace the 69th Republic Day parade in natioanl capital. In 2016, PM Narendra Modi had visited Vietnam.
- Thongloun Sisoulith: Prime Minister of Laos, Thongloun Sisoulith will also attend the R-day parade organised at Rajpath. Sisoulith had met PM Modi in 2017, ahead of the 14th India-ASEAN and 11th East Asia Summit.
- Prayuth Chan-ocha and Rodrigo Duterte: Thailand’s Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha and President Rodrigo Roa Duterte of Philippines will also grace the R-day event.
According to the sources, each of the ten leaders will arrive at Rajpath in separate convoys and be received by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. In the evening, the leaders will be hosted at the President’s traditional ‘At Home’ reception.