Chandigarh: The investigation team probing the Rewari gangrape case has arrested another Army man, Navin alias Nikku, for his alleged involvement in the incident, said media reports on Wednesday. While the charge being pressed on Nikku has yet not been disclosed, reports claimed that police have said that he was also present at the tube well room when the crime took place. (Also read: Condition of Survivor Stable, Treatment to Continue in Rewari)Also Read - Maharashtra, Karnataka, 4 Others Among 'States of Concern', Centre Rushes Teams To Review Situation
Sources confirmed that the accused was apprehended from army training centre Gopalpur (Odisha). He had reportedly left the crime spot and did not inform anyone about it. Nikku had joined the Army six months ago and was undergoing basic military training at Army Air Defence (AAD) training centre at Gopalpur in Odisha, said reports. He is a native of Nayagaon village. He was produced before the duty magistrate, who sent him on 10-days police remand on Tuesday. He has been accused of not informing the authorities about the incident and maintaining silence over the crime. Also Read - Odisha: Huge Quantity of Exlosives Seized in Malkangiri, Security Forces Suspect Naxal Activity
He was on leave from the training when the incident of rape happened. He would now be produced before the duty magistrate on October 5. Also Read - Odisha Imposes Ban On Religious Gatherings At River Ghats, Restrictions on Rituals | Full Guidelines Here
The two prime accused in the case – Pankaj and Manish – were arrested this Sunday. The arrests come a week after another main accused Nishu was apprehended, along with two others — Sanjeev, the doctor who first attended to the woman following the crime, and Deendayal, on whose property she was allegedly raped.
DGP BS Sandhu said with the arrest of Manish and Pankaj, an Army man, all the key accused allegedly involved in the incident, had been arrested. “Both the prime accused in the case, who had been on the run, have been arrested,” DGP Sandhu told PTI.
The National Commission for Women (NCW) had stated in its report that there was a delay on the part of state police in taking prompt action. Zero FIR lodged at 3.30 AM on September 13 but the FIR transferred at 7.15 PM. The scene of the crime wasn’t sealed also. Meanwhile, parents of the victim suspected the involvement of at least 10-12 people in the crime.