New Delhi, July 24: The Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) administration has allegedly refused to accept the PhD thesis of Umar Khalid over his punishment in connection with the February 9, 2016, event where alleged anti-India slogans were raised, said reports. Monday was the last day for MPhil and PhD submissions and Khalid and another student were turned down, said a report in The Indian Express. (Also read: HC Upholds Umar Khalid’s Rustication, Fines Kanhaiya Kumar Rs 10,000) Also Read - Delhi Riots Conspiracy Case: Court Grants Bail To Umar Khalid, Asks Him To Install Aarogya Setu App

The Appeals Committee that was set up to review punishments in the case fined Khalid, along with Kanhaiya Kumar and others. It also rusticated for the next semester, despite this being his last semester. The Delhi High Court had set aside JNU’s order on Kumar and stated that it “suffers from the vice of illegality, irrationality and procedural impropriety” so Kumar could submit his thesis on Monday. Hearing the matter, Justice Siddharth Mridul had told JNU not to take any coercive action against Khalid till the next date of hearing, which is August 16. (Also read: JNU Panel Upholds Punishment) Also Read - Viral Video: Man Cries Uncontrollably After Emotional Song Plays in Barber Shop, People Say 'Aisa Gaana Mat Bajao Yaar' | Watch

“We didn’t pay the fine. We have already challenged the order, but we moved court again saying JNU is not complying with the no-coercion order. They were again told to comply. But when I came back to JNU, the proctor refused to accept my submission, arguing that it was not coercion. This is another level of vendetta. I will definitely not pay the fine… I will contest this further,” said Khalid, whose PhD on the Adivasis of Jharkhand has been signed by all authorities except the Chief Proctor and Finance Officer. Also Read - Dissent Cannot be Termed Seditious, Says Supreme Court; Junks Plea Against Farooq Abdullah

Along with Khalid, Aswathi Nair was also not allowed to submit her thesis. She had been slapped with a fine of Rs 20,000. “The Chief Proctor has failed to pay heed to any directive from the court,” she told the daily.