New Delhi: After denial of permission, anti-CAA protesters including elderly women have stopped their march to Union home minister Amit Shah’s residence. The women reportedly turned back to their sit-in protest site at Shaheen Bagh after they were assured that their application for a meeting has been forwarded to Shah.Also Read - Assam-Mizoram Border Row: Both States Decide To Withdraw Forces After MHA Meet, Paramilitary Troops To Be Deployed
Speaking to a portal, a police official said that the administration is keen on this and their request will be forwarded soon. Also Read - Centre Seeks Extension Till January 9 For Framing CAA Rules
Also Read - Assam-Mizoram Border Conflict: What Happened And How it Escalated? Explained in 10 Points
“As soon they will get an appointment from Union Home Minister. We will let them proceed”, the official added.
Earlier in the day, keeping aside denial of permission by the Delhi Police, the women protesters had started their march from Shaheen Bagh to Shah’s residence over the contentious Citizenship Amendment Act.
“We have asked protesters who are in the delegation which wants to meet home minister Amit Shah today, so we can plan a meeting. But they said that they all want to go. We have denied that, but we will see what we can do,” news agency ANI quoted a senior police officer as saying.
Meanwhile, speaking to a news channel, a 76-year-old protester said that they will ask the Home Minister to give in writing that NRC and CAA will be rolled back.
The women decided to march towards Shah’s residence after the latter, while speaking at a conclave said that he was ready to meet the protesters, adding that an appointment would be given within three days of the same being sought.
Notably, Shah had strongly defended the government’s decision to implement CAA which grants Indian citizenship to persecuted non-Muslims migrants from Pakistan, Bangladesh and Afghanistan.