New Delhi, Jun 27: In a shocking turn of events, the Delhi police on Wednesday revealed that the weapon (a knife) which they have in their custody is not the actual murder weapon used by accused Major Nikhil Handa to kill Shailja Dwivedi, the wife of a fellow Indian Army Major Amit Dwivedi.Also Read - 62-year-old Man Shot Dead Outside Home in Delhi's Dwarka

The Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP), West Delhi, Vijay Kumar stated that the accused in the murder, Major Nikhil Handa, has been misleading the police in their investigation so far. Also Read - Man Allegedly Beats Teenaged Niece to Death for Wearing Jeans, Arrested While Trying to Dispose Body

“Accused Nikhil Handa is giving us misleading information day after day. We have done 90% of the work & in coming days the truth will come out,” he was quoted as saying by news agency ANI. Also Read - Indian Army Recruitment 2021: Army Invites Applications For Non-departmental Officer Posts | Details Here

He revealed that their investigation had found that following the murder, Handa had called a friend and told her about the incident. However, she didn’t believe him.

The police are yet to ascertain if this friend or Handa’s younger brother, who Handa had called next, have any role in the murder.

Army Major Nihil Handa was sent to four-day police custody by Delhi’s Patiala House Court on Monday, a day after he was arrested by the Delhi police in connection with the murder. Metropolitan Magistrate Manisha Tripathy granted his custody to the police after it said he has to be taken to Meerut in Uttar Pradesh to make certain recoveries including his clothes and weapon used to commit the crime.

Handa was arrested a day after another Army Major’s wife was found dead in Delhi’s Brar Square area on Saturday. He had made fake profiles on social media websites to befriend Shailaja and murdered her after she refused to marry him.

As per sources, the deceased’s body was found with her throat slit. The body had also been allegedly run over by a car several times.

The police also seized the vehicle in which the victim was reportedly last seen travelling in.

Handa met the deceased in 2015 in Nagaland when her husband was posted there. They had kept in touch, even when she came to Delhi after her husband was transferred.