New Delhi: Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) chief Sharad Pawar will not contest the 2019 Lok Sabha elections. Party leader Jitendra Ahwad said on Saturday that Pawar had already made it clear in 2014 that he will not contest the Lok Sabha polls again.Also Read - Maharashtra Crisis LIVE: Eknath Shinde Reaches Devendra Fadnavis's Home In Mumbai
“Pawar has told the party not to consider his name as he will not be a candidate. In today’s meeting, Pawar said he is not in the (LS) race and nobody should propose his name,” said Ahwad. Also Read - Uddhav Thackeray's Facebook Live Address; Key Takeaways
Recently, Sharad Pawar had stoked a controversy for supporting BJP over the Rafale deal. In an interview with a Marathi news channel, former Defence Minister Pawar had said that people do not have doubts over Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s intentions. Also Read - BJP-Led Govt Likely To Be Formed On July 1, Rebel Sena MLAs Land in Goa | Highlights
Meanwhile, the NCP has demanded a 50-50 seat-sharing formula for the state’s 48 Lok Sabha seats in its alliance talks with the Congress. The two parties had entered into an alliance in 2014 and the Congress contested 27 seats while the NCP put up candidates on 21 LS seats.
Pawar will discuss the current political situation in the 21 Lok Sabha seats the party had contested in 2014 and discuss the process of selection of candidates, a senior NCP leader had said on Friday.
The NCP has also called leaders from Jalna, Aurangabad, Dhule, and Hatkanangle, since the party plans to stake claim to these four seats, party spokesperson Nawab Malik had said. The Congress had fought from these four seats in the 2014 general elections. The Hatkanangle LS seat is currently held by Swabhimani Shetkari Sanghatana’s Raju Shetti. He quit the NDA and allied with the Congress recently.