New Delhi, June 4: Curfew in the Meghalaya capital Shillong has been extended till 5 AM tomorrow as violence continued in some parts of the hill station under the Lumdiengjri police station and Cantonment Beat House areas. In the wake of the violence, a team of CRPF and BSF battalion has been dispatched to help the state control the ongoing crisis, the Home Ministry said. Also Read - Watch: Mysterious New Mushroom Species That Glow Bright Green Found in Meghalaya Forests, Here's The Reason

“The Home Ministry has sanctioned the deployment of four additional CRPF and two ITBP companies. The state’s SF-10 commandoes along with a CRPF company and the district forces are already monitoring the situation on the ground,” Director General of Police (DGP) S B Singh confirmed. Also Read - Centre Makes it Tougher For NGOs Seeking Foreign Funding | Check New Rules Here

A curfew was imposed after a group of nearly 400 men pelted stones at a Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) camp near Mowlai Bridge here on Sunday night. The incident comes after the police detained five people in connection with the clashes that broke out between two communities recently. The police have requested the citizens not to take law in their hands. Also Read - Remember The IPS Officer Caught Beating Wife in Viral Video? MHA Has Confirmed His Suspension

“We request the public not to take law in their hands and resolve the issue with talks,” said Inspector General (IG) CRPF, Prakash D. On Sunday, the police detained five people in connection with the recent clash that broke out between two communities, after arguments between a woman and a bus conductor intensified. The bus handyman was later beaten up by some men.

On Sunday night, the police had forced the protesters to leave their hideouts. after the protesters refused to leave, the police had to fire teargas shells to bring the situation under control. In retaliation, the protesters overturned a police van near Roberts Hospital. The mob allegedly assaulted an on-duty officer, the reports said.

“The situation is tense in those areas,” said Deputy Commissioner, East Khasi Hills, Peter S Dkhar. He added that the curfew was relaxed for seven hours but since the stone-pelting continued, the police had to fire tear gas shells. He further said that the suspension of the internet on mobile services would continue.

With agency inputs