New Delhi: Jammu and Kashmir Police sub-inspector Imtiyaz Ahmed Mir, who was shot dead by militants in Pulwama district, shaved off his beard and even changed his appearance to meet his parents. But his attempt to mislead the militants was unsuccessful, his colleagues said. Also Read - Jammu and Kashmir Admin Announces Complete Lockdown In 11 districts Amid Spike In COVID Cases

“I had told him that he should not go as militants could attack. But he was desperate to see his parents who reside at Sontabugh in the interiors of Pulwama district,” recalled one of his supervising officers. Also Read - Complete Corona Curfew Imposed in Jammu and Kashmir Till Monday Morning

This morning as he was preparing to leave for home, he came with a changed appearance. He shaved off his beard and decided to use his personal vehicle to go to his native village, the officer added. Also Read - Jammu & Kashmir: Corona Curfew Extended To All 20 Districts, Public Transport To Ply At 50% Capacity

“Now they (militants) will not be able to recognise me” were possibly his last words to his officer before he left for home with a smiling face as he was seeing his parents after a long time.

A bullet-ridden body of Mir was found in Pulwama district in Jammu and Kashmir on Sunday. He was reportedly abducted by terrorists from his vehicle when he was on his way home.

Mir was posted in the CID department and had been warned against venturing into his village as there was a possibility of an attack by militant groups.

Mir is survived by his father and mother. Son of a retired police officer, Mir, who was from 2010 batch of sub-inspector, had served in Ganderbal district of South Kashmir for five years before being transferred to Kulgam district last year.

He was shifted to the CID department in March this year and his superiors recalled his dedication towards his work.

Militants have been targeting policemen in the state and killed two special police officers and a constable last month, triggering unrest in the lower ranks of the force with some SPOs declaring their resignation on social media.

In fact, some militants had claimed that Mir had also submitted his resignation.

The incident comes months after a rifleman, Aurangzeb, was brutally killed by terrorists in Pulwama in June while on his way back to home for Eid. He belonged to the 44 Rashtriya Rifles and was on way back home on June 14 to celebrate Eid when terrorists abducted him.

Aurangzeb’s bullet-riddled body was found at Gussu village, about 10 km from Kalampora, in Pulwama district. His killing triggered widespread outrage in Kashmir. The Army jawan was laid to rest with full state honours at his native village where thousands of mourners raised slogans of ‘Shaheed Aurangzeb amar rahe’ at his last rites ceremony.

Hailing from village Salani in Poonch, Jammu, and Kashmir, the 24-year-old had joined the Army in 2012. He is survived by his wife, parents and three brothers.

(With PTI inputs)