Srinagar: Dilbag Singh took over as the new Director General of Jammu and Kashmir Police (DGP) on Friday after his predecessor Shesh Paul Vaid, who caught in a verbal duel with the new state administration, was shunted out and posted as Transport Commissioner on Thursday night.
Vaid, a 1986-batch IPS officer, was unceremoniously removed as police chief late last night. It was believed that the reason behind the sudden development was continuous friction over interference in the police work by the state’s bureaucracy.
Vaid has been shifted as Transport Commissioner, a post which was held by Saugat Biswas, a 2006-IAS officer. The post has been upgraded from Additional Secretary to the rank of Secretary. It will be headquartered in Jammu.
Before demitting his office, Vaid expressed satisfaction that he was able to serve the people of the state. “I’m thankful to the God that he gave me the opportunity to serve my people and my country. I’m grateful to police, security agencies, and people of state for their support and their faith in me. My best wishes to the new DGP,” Vaid said. “My only concern is the youth which is dying and unnecessary loss of human life. The sooner it ends, the better it would be,” he added.
Who is Dilbag Singh – The New DGP of J&K?
- Dilbag Singh is a 1987-batch IPS officer from Jammu and Kashmir. He took over as the new police chief in a simple ceremony on Friday.
- While abiding by the responsibilities as new J&K DGP, he will continue to hold the charge of Director-General (Prisons).
- His career began as Additional Superintendent of Police in Kupwara district.
- In February this year, Dilbag Singh was posted DG Prisons following escape of high profile Pakistani prisoner Naveed Jatt.
- He has also served as Commandant General, Home Guards, SDRF, J&K.
- Dilbag Singh has also served as Jammu and Kashmir’s Inspector General of Police, ADGP security, IGP Crime and Railways.
- He was also posted as the Intelligence Chief of J&K.
- In 2000, he courted a controversy after being found involved in a major recruitment scam. He was suspended as DIG Anantnag in connection with the matter.
The state government removed Vaid as the DGP late Thursday night and handed over the charge to DG (Prisons) Dilbag Singh till a permanent appointment is made.
Former Chief Minister of Jammu and Kashmir Omar Abdullah has criticised the timing of changing the state DGP, saying there was no hurry to replace Vaid and the state police could do without having to deal with the confusion of leadership.
(Inputs from PTI)