New Delhi, Nov 15: President Ram Nath Kovind on Tuesday awarded the prestigious Rashtriya Bal Kalyan award to Super-30 founder Anand Kumar for his contribution in the field of teaching and education. Kumar was bestowed with the this year’s Rashtriya Bal Kalyan award on Children’s Day on November 14. “Such recognition motivates me to keep doing my work,” Anand Kumar was quoted as saying after receiving the award from Kovind.
Speaking to The Hindu, Anand Kumar said that he will keep doing his work but rather on a larger scale in the coming years. He added that the success stories of his students give him more satisfaction but such recognition “encourage me to do more for poor, underprivileged students.”
“Today honorable President Shri Ram Nath Kovind conferred me the Rashtriya Bal Kalyan Award for this year. I thank all those all who encouraged me all through and boosted my confidence even under adverse circumstances. Many thanks. Best wishes for children’s Day,” Anand Kumar posted on Facebook.
WHO IS ANAND KUMAR?
- Anand Kumar started his Patna-based Super-30 programme in 2002, which coaches economically backward students for IIT-JEE entrance exams.
- The Super-30 institute provides free education, accommodation, and food to the underprivileged students.
- Since its inception in 2002, nearly 396 students out of 450 have cracked the IIT-JEE entrance exam.
- Discovery Channel has also made a documentary on his life and his institute making IIT dreams come true for many.
- During his graduation, Kumar had submitted papers on number theory, which were later published in Mathematical Spectrum and The Mathematical Gazette.
- Kumar had even secured a seat in the Harvard University but couldn’t take admission due to his poor financial condition.
- He would work on Maths in the morning and would sell papads in the evening with his mother. He would even travel every weekend on a six-hour train journey to Varanasi to read foreign journals since Patna University library did not have them.
- It was in 1992 when Kumar started teaching Mathematics and began his own institute, the Ramanujan School of Mathematics (RSM).
- Anand Kumar was motivated to start the Super-30 programme when a poor student, who couldn’t afford coaching fee, came to him for IIT coaching.
- In 2010, all the students of Super-30 institute cleared the IIT JEE entrance exam.
- Recently, Anand Kumar had appeared in popular TV show Kaun Banega Crorepati.
- Bollywood director Vikas Bahl is currently shooting a film based on Anand Kumar and his Super-30 institute starring actor Hrithik Roshan.
The Super-30 institute has been providing free education, accommodation, and food to the underprivileged students to get through the IIT engineering entrance examination. The recipient also included Bollywood movie Dangal’s actress Zaira Wasim. Minister of state for women and child development Dr Virendra Kumar was also present at the event.