New Delhi, Aug 21: Supreme Court on Monday granted bail to retired army officer Prasad Shrikant Purohit, the main accused in the 2008 Malegaon bomb blast which killed seven people. Lt Col Purohit (retd) told the court that he was in jail for the last nine years and was entitled to be granted bail. Lt Col Purohit (retd) had earlier told the apex court that he was in jail for the last nine years and was entitled to be granted bail.Also Read - US Supreme Court Halts Biden Administration's COVID-19 Vaccine Rule For Businesses
Earlier on August 17, the apex court reserved its order on the bail plea of Lieutenant Colonel Purohit. Senior lawyer, Harish Salve, appearing for Lieutenant Colonel Purohit told the court that he did not want to be discharged from the case at present, but for the interest of justice, wants an interim bail. Also Read - Who is Indu Malhotra, Former SC Judge to Head Panel Probing PM Modi’s Security Breach in Punjab
The National Investigative Agency (NIA) had opposed the bail plea of Colonel Purohit argued that the Bombay High court order should be upheld by the apex court. The Bombay High Court had rejected Colonel Purohit’s bail plea saying the charges against him were of a grave nature, after which he moved to the top court. Also Read - Return Money by Jan 17 or Face Jail: Supreme Court to Supertech Directors
Lieutenant Colonel Purohit, a former military intelligence officer, is one of the accused in the 2008 Malegaon blasts along with Sadhvi Pragya and others. Sadhvi Pragya has been granted relief in the case by the Bombay High Court. At least seven persons were killed in the explosion in Malegaon in Nashik district on September 29, 2008.
(With agency inputs)