New Delhi: As the protests by the women agitators against the Centre’s contentious Citizenship Amendment Act 2019 is completing two months, the Supreme Court will on Monday hear a bunch of pleas seeking their removal from the protest site.

The development comes after the top court had on February 7 said that it would hear the pleas seeking removal of anti-CAA protestors from Shaheen Bagh on February 10. The apex court said this keeping in view the ongoing Delhi Assembly Election 2020 as it did not want to influence the polls.

“We understand there is a problem and we have to see how to resolve it. We will take it up on Monday. We will be in a better position by then,” the top court bench comprising justices S K Kaul and K M Joseph had said.

The court, while hearing the matter, had asked the petitioners to wait till the matter is heard and also observed it would be appropriate if the matter is heard by the Delhi High Court.

“We think it would be appropriate if the high court deals with the matter. The high court is the appropriate forum and we can issue directions to this effect,” the bench had said earlier.

The development comes after advocate Amit Sahni filed a plea in the apex court directing the police to deal with the situation keeping in mind law and order. The petitioner had also said that due to the protests since December 15 last year, traffic flow on Kalindi Kunj-Shaheen Bagh stretch has been severely affected.

When the bench said it would hear the matter on February 10, advocate Shashank Deo Sudhi, appearing for petitioner and

In another development, former Delhi MLA Nand Kishore Garg had filed a plea in the top court seeking directions to the authorities to remove the protestors from Shaheen Bagh.

Earlier, advocate Amit Sahni had approached the high court seeking directions to the Delhi Police to ensure smooth traffic flow on the Kalindi Kunj-Shaheen Bagh stretch. Notably, this stretch has been closed since December 15 last year due to protest at Shaheen Bagh.

The top court will also hear a plea of children participating in the protests at the Sheen Bagh. The development comes after a 12-year-old National Bravery Award winner wrote a letter to the CJI complaining against the participation of children in demonstrations in Shaheen Bagh. Taking cognisance to stop the involvement of children and infants in demonstrations, the apex court had on Friday said that the matter will be heard on Monday.