New Delhi: Nizamuddin Markaz chief Maulana Muhammad Saad, who has been named in the FIR lodged over the congregation in Nizamudding won’t be arrested if he is found, the Delhi police has clarified on Saturday. Instead, he would be quarantined, police said, though the absconding chief has claimed that he was already under quarantine. Also Read - How Novel Coronavirus Affects Your Nervous System?

At least 9,000 people had participated in the religious congregation at Tablighi Jamaat’s headquarters at Nizamuddin in the national capital last month. The event became a key source for the spread of COVID-19 in India as many of the participants travelled to various parts of the country for missionary works. Also Read - Virus May be an Invisible Enemy, But Our COVID-19 Warriors Are Invincible: PM Modi



Saad’s advocate says they have filed a reply to the notice issued to them by police and sought more time to produce documents as ‘offices & departments are closed due to lockdown’. The police has sought some official documents of the Markaz from the chief. Also Read - Over 8,000 COVID-19 Cases Recorded in India For Second Straight Day, Total Tally Goes Beyond 1.90 Lakh Mark; Death Toll at 5,394 | 10 Points

Through a massive effort around 22,000 Tableeghi Jamaat workers and their contacts have been quarantined. “Till now we have found cases related to Tableeghi Jamaat from 17 states, 1,023 COVID19 positive cases have been found to be linked to this event. Out of the total cases in the country, around 30% are linked to one particular place,” the health department officials said in their Saturday press meet.