New Delhi: Delhi Health Minister Satyendra Jain on Tuesday said that 24 people, who were present at the Markaz building in the capital’s Nizamuddin area, where a religious congregation held earlier this month has triggered major concerns over transmission of the COVID-19 infection, have tested positive for coronavirus. Also Read - Nizamuddin's Markaz Building Sealed After 7 COVID-19 Fatalities, 850 People Whisked Away to Hospitals

Later, speaking to news agency ANI, Jain said, “We are not certain of the number but it is estimated that 1500-1700 people had assembled at Markaz building. 1033 people have been evacuated so far-334 of them have been sent to hospital and 700 sent to quarantine centers.”

“Event’s organisers have committed a grave crime. Disaster Act and Contagious Diseases Act was enforced in Delhi, no assembly of more than 5 people was allowed. Still they did this. I’ve written to the Lieutenant Governor to take strictest action against them. Delhi government has given order to file FIR,” he added.

Notably, thousands of people, from India as well as across the world, had attended a gathering of the Tablighi Jamaat, from March 13-15 at its Delhi headquarters called the Markaz Nizamuddin. Many attendees of the event then moved to different parts of the country, thus possibly spreading the infection.

Thus far, seven deaths in connection with this gathering have been reported-six from Telangana and one from Srinagar. A manhunt has been launched by individual states to trace those who attended this gathering.

Yesterday, Delhi Police and health officials rushed to the area and sealed it after it information about the event came to light. Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal has directed that an FIR be registered against the cleric who led the congregation.