New Delhi: Expressing concern over the possibility of tampering of evidence, the Madras High Court during the Tuesday hearing said that there is enough evidence of the assault on the bodies of Jayaraj and his son Fenix to prove the case of ‘custodial deaths’ that has been widely circulating on social media platforms since last week. Also Read - Chennai: 15 kg Heroin Worth Rs 100 Crore Seized; 2 Tanzanians Arrested

Fearing a misplacement after the postmortem reports were presented, the Madurai bench of Madras HC hearing the case sought urgent response from the Tamil Nadu government on setting up an interim arrangement before the case is handed over to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI). Also Read - Tamil Nadu To Reimburse Expense For Covid Treatment in Pvt Hospitals, CM Stalin Signs Order

The Madras court asked Tirunelveli Inspector-General (IG) if he could handle the case until the central probe agency takes over. Also Read - MK Stalin's Wife Durga Gets Emotional As He Takes Oath As Tamil Nadu CM, Video Goes Viral | Watch

Earlier on Sunday, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister K Palaniswami said the state government has decided to transfer the probe into the death of the father-son duo, allegedly thrashed by police in the Sathankulam police station, to the CBI. The Madras High Court gave its nod and appreciated the Palaniswami government’s decision to transfer the case.

The HC judge also directed the assistant director of the forensic laboratory at Tuticorin to collect the clue materials and assist the Judicial Magistrate.

P Jayaraj and his son Fennix, arrested for allegedly violating lockdown norms over business hours of their cellphone shop, died at a hospital in Kovilpatti on June 23. The incident blew up on social media platforms, triggering a nation-wide furore after the relatives alleged that they were brutally thrashed at the Sathankulam police station by police personnel earlier.

Eyewitnesses also alleged that they were stripped naked, their knees were smashed and their chest hair was ripped out. They further claimed that the cops inserted metal objects into the victims’ rectum leaving them bleeding till their lungis had to be changed seven times in about 5 hours.

The post mortem reports of both victims confirmed the reports of assault, however, the degree of it is yet to be ascertained.

With PTI inputs