New Delhi: On the 10th anniversary of the 2008 Mumbai terror attack, India slammed Pakistan for showing “little sincerity in bringing perpetrators to justice” and that the attackers “still roam the streets of Pakistan with impunity”. Also Read - Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan Lashes Out at Opposition For Making Mockery of Democracy
“It is a matter of deep anguish that even after 10 years of this heinous terror attack, the families of 166 victims from 15 countries across the globe still await closure, with Pakistan showing little sincerity in bringing perpetrators to justice. The planners of 26/11 still roam the streets of Pakistan with impunity,” the Ministry of External Affairs said in a statement. Also Read - US Welcomes Steps Taken To Return J&K To Full Economic And Political Normalcy
“The 26/11 terrorist attack was planned, executed and launched from Pakistan territory. The former Prime Minister of Pakistan had earlier this year admitted that the terrorists were sent from Pakistan’s soil. We once again call on the Government of Pakistan to give up double standards and to expeditiously bring the perpetrators of the horrific attack to justice. This is not just a matter of Pakistan’s accountability to the families of the innocent victims who fell to terrorists, but also an international obligation,” the statement added. Also Read - Pakistan Likely to Tie up With Turkey in Manufacturing Missiles, Fighter Jets: Report
The government also welcomed the United States’ move to call upon Pakistan to implement sanctions against the 26/11 perpetrators.
“We welcome the statement issued today by the United States calling on Pakistan to uphold their UN Security Council obligations to implement sanctions against the terrorists responsible for the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks, including Lashkar-e-Tayyiba and its affiliates,” it said.
The Trump administration on Monday announced a USD 5 million reward for information leading to the arrest or conviction in any country of any individual who committed, conspired, aided or abetted the Mumbai terror attack.
The move comes less than a fortnight after Vice President Mike Pence had a meeting with Prime Minister Narendra Modi in Singapore, during which he is believed to have himself raised this issue and rued that even 10 years after the Mumbai terrorist attack its perpetrators have not been brought to justice.
On November 26, 2008, 10 Lashkar-e-Taiba terrorists had sailed into Mumbai from Karachi and carried out coordinated attacks, killing 166 and injuring over 300.
Nine of the attackers were killed by the police while lone survivor Ajmal Kasab was captured and hanged after he was sentenced to death.
The case, in which seven Lashkar-e-Taiba members were facing charges of planning and executing the strike, is still being dragged on in a Pakistani anti-terror court. India has been pressing Pakistan to expedite the trial.