New Delhi, Jan 18: The National Investigation Agency (NIA) today filed a chargesheet in a Delhi court in a case of alleged terror funding and secessionist activities in Jammu and Kashmir. In its 12,794-page chargesheet, the NIA blamed Lashkar-e-Taiba founder Hafiz Saeed, Hizbul Mujahideen head Syed Salahuddin and ten Kashmiri separatists for the spate of stone pelting, arson and violence in Kashmir. The chargesheet also said that Pakistan High Commission officials were involved in the conspiracy.
The chargesheet has been filed against 12 persons including Hafiz Saeed and Syed Salahuddin for conspiring to wage war against the government (Section 121 of Indian Penal Code) by carrying out terrorist and secessionist activities in Jammu and Kashmir. “The accused in custody accepted that Pakistan High Commission officials gave them money to carry out stone pelting in Kashmir,” a source in the know of the chargesheet told CNN-News18. However, those officials have not been named as they have diplomatic immunity and can’t be prosecuted.
Besides Saeed and Salahuddin, the other 10 accused in the final report are – Hurriyat leader Syed Shah Geelani’s son- in-law Altaf Ahmed Shah, Geelani’s personal assistant Bashir Ahmad Bhat, media advisor and strategist of the Hurriyat Conference Aftab Ahmad Shah, secessionist outfit National Front chief Nayeem Ahmad Khan, Chairman of Jammu Kashmir Liberation Front (R) Farooq Ahmad Dar, media advisor of Hurriyat Conference (Geelani faction) Mohammad Akbar Khanday, Tehreek-e-Hurriyat official Raja Mehrajuddin Kalwal, hawala operator Zahoor Ahmad Shah Watal and two stone-pelters – Kamran Yusuf and Javed Ahmad Bhat.
The NIA said the scrutiny and analysis of the documents and digital devices established that the accused Hurriyat leaders, the terrorists and the stone-pelters were carrying out terrorist attacks and orchestrating violence in Jammu and Kashmir as a part of their “well-planned” criminal conspiracy. It said that conspiracy was hatched with active support, connivance and funding from terrorist organisations based in Pakistan and its agencies to achieve their objective of secession of the Jammu and Kashmir by waging war against the Indian government.
According to the probe agency, the case was registered on May 30, 2017, and the first arrests made on July 24 last year. The agency said during the course of the investigation, its teams conducted searches at over 60 locations spread across Jammu and Kashmir, Haryana and Delhi and seized over 950 incriminating documents and over 600 electronic devices. Over 300 witnesses were examined during the probe, it said. Additional Sessions Judge Tarun Sherawat, after hearing arguments on the charge sheet, posted the matter for January 30.
(With PTI inputs)