Chennai: An eight-month pregnant woman who was infected with HIV after blood transfusion was given three cents of land and Rs 2 lakh as compensation by the Tamil Nadu government. Virudhunagar collector A Sivagnanam handed over the housing patta and the cheque for Rs 2 lakh assured by the government to the victim at the Government Rajaji Hospital on Saturday. During the visit, Virudhunagar collector enquired about the woman’s health and promised that she would receive the best treatment. Also Read - Tamil Actor Maran, Known For His Role in KGF, Dies of Covid-19
The 24-year-old pregnant woman was allegedly infected with HIV during a treatment at the Sattur Government Hospital in Virudhunagar district on December 3. She was transfused with blood donated by an infected man. The personnel who tested the donor’s blood had allegedly labelled it ‘safe’, officials said. The woman was then shifted to Government Rajaji Hospital in Madurai after the victim and her husband refused to carry on the treatment in Virudhunagar. Also Read - MK Stalin Gifts Bicycle to 7-Year-Old Madurai Boy Who Donated His Savings to COVID Fund | Watch
The woman who lives in a rented house received the free land patta. An order for constructing a house in the patta has been granted by the collector under Chief Minister’s Solar Powered Green House Scheme (CMSPGHS). Also Read - Chennai Railway Police Dance to ‘Enjoy Enjaami’ to Raise Awareness on COVID-19, Video Goes Viral | Watch
The incident prompted the Tamil Nadu government to review the stocks in all blood banks of the state to ensure they were free of the deadly virus. An employee of a blood bank attached to a government hospital in Sattur was dismissed, while two others suspended in connection with the incident, health department officials said.
Meanwhile, the 19-year-old man whose blood was transfused into a pregnant woman, attempted suicide after he found that he was infected with HIV. He died on Sunday morning at the Rajaji government hospital in Madurai. The Dean of Madurai Government Rajaji hospital Dr Shanmuga Sundaram reportedly said that the man passed away at 8.10 AM due to a complication resulting from consuming poison.