New Delhi, Dec 13: The Transport Ministry has asked the vehicle and equipment manufacturers to find a solution to child lock in cabs. The move comes a few days after a cab driver in Bengaluru harassed a woman passenger after activating the child lock. Also Read - Bangalore Under Night Curfew From Today: All You Need to Know About Restrictions Here
As per the order by the ministry, the vehicle and equipment manufacturers must ensure that no commercially registered vehicle is rolled out of the showroom with child lock system. Also Read - Bengaluru COVID Cases: City Records 5,576 Fresh Infections in Its Biggest Single-day Spike, 10 PM-5 AM Corona Curfew to Start From Tonight
The discussion on the issue was held between the Transport Ministry and vehicle and equipment manufacturers during the apex technical committee meeting, which sets standards and specifications for vehicles and their parts, on Monday. Also Read - Karnataka Records Nearly 8,000 Coronavirus Cases in Biggest Spike This Year, Bengaluru Worst Hit
Notably, no manufacturer knows which product will be registered as cab or transport vehicle. Hence, the solution to the child lock problem lies with the dealer who dispatched the vehicle. Also, these days the vehicles come with an option wherein, the passengers can disable to child lock before setting out on a journey.
In November, the Delhi government had directed the cab drivers and owners to paste a sticker on their vehicles which cautions the passengers to disable the child lock before starting the journey. This norm will come into affect later this month, reports TOI.
Earlier this month, a 23-year-old fashion stylist was touched inappropriately by an Ola driver. The incident was reported on December 6. The accused committed the act after locking her inside the car using child lock.
After the incident, the accused driver made several calls the next day threatening the victim of dire consequences if she lodged a complaint against him to the cab service. Ola has reportedly banned the accused.
Ola regretted the incident and issued a statement. It said, “We regret the unfortunate experience the customer had during their ride. We have zero tolerance to such incidents and the driver has been suspended from the platform as an immediate action upon receiving the complaint. We have also urged the customer to lodge a formal complaint with the authorities. Safety of customers is our priority and we will continue to extend our full support to this investigation against the said driver.”