Guwahati: After 33 days of futile attempts to rescue the 15 miners trapped in an illegal rat-hole coal mine in Meghalaya’s East Jaintia Hills district, the body of one of them was found on Thursday morning, reported news agency ANI. Also Read - Meghalaya Miners Rescue Operation: Indian Navy, NDRF Recover Second Body From Rat-hole Mine

The body of the miner was detected at a depth of over 200 feet. The body was brought to the mouth of the rat-hole mine, Navy officials said adding the rescue operations were going on. The officials said the body was spotted inside the rate-hole mine and naval divers brought it to its mouth. Also Read - Meghalaya Mine Tragedy: Navy Divers to Attempt Retrieval of Second Body From Monday

Amid diminishing chances of survival of the miners, the rescue teams, including the Indian Navy and the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF), detected the miner’s body deep inside the mine on Tuesday with the help of an Underwater Remotely Operated Vehicle, which is used for searching objects underwater. Also Read - Meghalaya: Decomposed Body of Another Miner Found 280-ft Inside Rat-hole Coal Mine; Operation to Retrieve it Underway

Till date, the dewatering of the 370-foot-deep mine where the miners are trapped has proved futile as over 1 crore litres of water has been pumped out of the main shaft in the past one month, but there has been no visible change in the water level, an official said.

Another 2 crore plus litres of water was pumped out from the nearby abandoned mines suspected to be connected to the mine where the miners are trapped, but the rescuers are clueless ‘how’ and ‘where’ the water is coming from, he said.

In the Khloo-Ryngksan area, where the ill-fated mine is located at the western side of a small hillock, the Lytein river crisscross the valley for over 2 km.

Experts have been visiting the spot since December 20 for rescuing the miners after the news broke out at the national level, but the huge water level inside has foiled all their efforts.

The miners have been trapped inside a 370-foot-deep illegal coal mine in Meghalaya’s East Jaintia Hills district since December 13, 2018 after water from a nearby river gushed in, puncturing the mine wall.