New Delhi, March 5: Union Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad on Monday launched a scathing attack on Congress and blamed the party for worsening India’s crisis of Indian banks non-performing assets. Prasad also attacked former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and said under his leadership, the entire banking system went haywire.Also Read - Only Govt Unconcerned' About Snooping Allegations is That of India: Chidambaram
Prasad also criticised UPA government gold import scheme, when Congress leader P Chidambaram was Union Finance Minister. “In 2014, an order was passed by the then Finance Minister P Chidambaram to provide benefits to seven private companies. Gitanjali Gemas was one of the 7 companies,” he said. Also Read - Ravi Shankar Prasad, Prakash Javadekar Likely to Get Top BJP Posts, Roles in Poll-Bound States
Here are some key points from Ravi Shakar Prasad’s press conference: Also Read - Avoid Unnecessary Remarks, Learn From Experience of Predecessors: PM Modi Tells Ministers
- Congress has been indulging in the politics of fear and confusion in the last four years.
- It was noticed that the UPA did not allow correct data to be entered into bank records. Advances (to banks) increased when UPA government was in power but were not recorded in books.
- Under the so-called economist Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, the entire banking system went haywire due to all kinds of interference with it: Union Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad.
- Congress party has issues with technology since technology brings transparency.
- “Rafale deal is in discussion these days. It is very surprising that Congress party which is drowned in corruption in Bofors among other purchases of the weapons system is raising questions on Rafale deal. It couldn’t execute Rafale deal for 10 years,” Prasad said to reporters.
- Time and again we have stated that not a single loan given under our govt is NPA.
- In 2008, the total advance to people given by the banks was Rs 18.06 Lakh Crores. By March ’14 amount went up to Rs 52.15 Lakh Crore. The stressed asset identified out of this was only 36 per cent.
- Now the stressed asset has risen to 82 per cent out of that advances made in the UPA govt. This means for more than one occasions the correct data could not make it to the records of the banks under UPA government.
- There was a Scheme 80:20 introduced in August 2013 and repealed in November 2014.
- On 16th May 2014, the date of the declaration of results, the then Finance Minister gave ‘aashirvaad‘ to seven private companies under 80:20 Scheme. One of those companies was Gitanjali Gems.
- Rahul Gandhi must answer after he returns from Italy.
- By Aadhaar, we have saved crores of rupees. Today Congress is the worst critic of Aadhaar. Some of their biggest leaders speak against Aadhaar. I know the Congress faces difficulties in accepting technology.
- Rahul Gandhi called GST Gabbar Singh tax. I am very sure that Congress is anti-reform. Whenever there is reform there is transparency and accountability.