Lucknow (UP): A Sessions court in Maharajganj on Tuesday ordered a notice against Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath in the 19-year-old murder case. The murder case dates back to 1999 in which personal security officer of the then Samajwadi Party leader Talat Aziz, Satya Prakash Yadav, was killed during a protest.Also Read - Rajasthan Revises Order; Allows Sale, Bursting Of Green Crackers With Restricted Timings

The police files say that Yadav was killed during a clash with a group, allegedly led by Yogi Adityanath, opened fire at the protesters. Earlier Aziz’s plea was turned down by the Sessions Court. Aziz then approached the Lucknow court which asked Sessions Court to reopen the trial. Also Read - 4 Kids Among 11 Dead After Tractor Overturns in Uttar Pradesh’s Jhansi

As an order to issue notice was issued against Yogi Adityanath, the Samajwadi Party demanded resignation from the Up chief minister. “We demand the immediate resignation of CM Yogi Adityanath as he could influence the trial if it starts and can also harm the victims,” an SP leader was quoted as saying by News18. Also Read - Lakhimpur Violence: SIT Recreates Crime Scene With Union Minister’s Son Ashish Mishra, 3 Others 

Earlier, the Supreme Court had directed a magistrate in Uttar Pradesh to pass appropriate orders in accordance with law in a rioting case allegedly involving Yogi Adityanath.

A bench of Chief Justice Dipak Misra and Justices A M Khanwilkar and DY Chandrachud disposed of a petition challenging the Allahabad High Court order dismissing a plea filed by one Rasheed Khan in the case.

“We only direct the Magistrate (in Gorakhpur), as the High Court has remitted the matter to him, to pass appropriate orders keeping in view the law laid down. The Special Leave Petition stands disposed of accordingly,” the bench said.

The FIR said that on January 27, 2007, on the occasion of Satvi Moharram, on a call was given by Adityanath, following which members of right-wing outfit Hindu Vahini, traders and businessman started assembling and raising slogans.

It said that at about 10 am that day, the agitators set several properties ablaze, damaged religious books and indulged in destructive activities at the Imam Chowk in Gorakhpur.

With agency inputs