New Delhi: Refusing to continue hearing on the Ansal fire tragedy case of 1997, the Supreme Court on Thursday has dismissed a curative plea filed by the victims to increase jail terms of the accused Anal brothers — Sushil Ansal and Gopal Ansal — the owners of the theatre when it caught fire. On June 13, 1997, about 59 people were killed during the screening of Border in a massive fire tragedy. There was no announcement of the sudden fire and many people and were hurt in the stampede that followed the fire. Also Read - 22 Years Since Uphaar Fire, It's Deja vu For Delhi

A three-judge bench comprising Chief Justice S A Bobde, and Justices N V Ramana and Arun Mishra considered the curative plea by the Association for Victims of Uphaar Tragedy (AVUT) in-chamber and dismissed it. “We have gone through the curative petitions and the relevant documents. In our opinion, no case is made out…. Hence, the curative petition is dismissed,” the bench said in its order. Also Read - Uphaar case: Sushil Ansal misled Indian govt while applying for passport, says HC



Here’s how the 22-year-old case unfolded so far

A month after the mishap in 1997, Sushil Ansal and his son Pranav Ansal were arrested in Mumbai Also Read - SC to hear in Jan next year plea for de-sealing of Uphaar cinema hall

In the same year, CBI filed its chargesheet against 16 including the Ansal brothers.



Proceedings went on for all these years while in 2015, a trial court convicted the Ansal brothers but they were not sent to the jail owing to their age. They were fined Rs 30 crore each.

The case was moved to the Supreme Court, which sent Gopal Ansal to jail for one year.

(With PTI Inputs)