Srinagar, September 18: During the wee hours of Sunday, the rear office of the Indian Army’s infantry battalion in Baramulla district’s Uri, was attacked by four heavily armed gunmen, killing 17 jawans and injuring more than 30. According to Indian Army spokesperson DGMO Lieutenant General Ranbir Singh, the terrorists belonged to Jaish-e-Mohammed group whose leader Masood Azhar has been staying in Pakistan. The four terrorists who seem to have taken military level training were neutralised at around 8:30 am almost four hours after they striked at the Indian logistic base located few kilometers near the Line of Control.

After the operation was over, the sleuths of Indian Army recovered four AK 47 rifles, four under barrel grenade launchers from the four slain terrorists. Some of the items recovered from slain terrorists had a marking of Pakistan on that, “I have spoken to DGMO in Pakistan on same raising concern,” Singh said. According to DGMO, seven soldiers lost their lives in cross firing by terrorists and around 10 jawans lost their lives as the tents and temporary shelters caught fire. “Terrorists opened fire with incendiary ammunition, this led to tents and temporary shelters located inside the army camp catching fire,” said Singh. (Also Read: Uri terror strike: Narendra Modi terms attack as cowardly and despicable , says those responsible won’t go unpunished)

Singh further said, “I assure u that Indian army is prepared for any evil design by the adversary, and will give a befitting response to the people behind the attack”. The top Indian army officer claimed that their jawans had carried out a deliberate and methodical search of the area in and around the military complex in Uri. Singh informed that Intelligence agencies and security forces are closely monitoring the situation and soon necessary action will be taken. Meanwhile, Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar has landed in Srinagar and is being briefed by Army Chief about the ground situation.

Prime Minister Modi condemned the incident and tweeted that the perpetrators would be punished, while Home Minister Rajnath Singh held a high-level meeting with MHA and MoD officials at his residence on Sunday. After the brutal attack the security has been beefed up in the vicinity and roads connecting the LoC.

In last eight months this is the sixth pre-planned attack on Indian armed Forces. Rajya Sabha, MP Home Hansraj Ahir had earlier written a letter saying that, “There is an increase in infiltration bids by terrorists from across Indo-Pakistan border in Jammu and Kashmir during this year”. The lawmeker furtyher added that there had been 90 infiltration attempts till June 30 in comparison to 29 attempts in the corresponding period in 2015, news agency PTI.

Earlier in January, six heavily-armed Jaish-e-Mohammed terrorists attacked the Indian strategic air base of Pathankot in a pre-dawn strike merely a week after PM Narendra Modi made an unannounced visit to meet Pakistan Premier Nawaz Sharif in an attempt to strengthen relations between the two countries. In the pathankot attack seven security forces personnel lost their lives whereas two civilains were also killed.