New Delhi, Sep 18: Reported to be as the deadliest attack in recent times, the Uri region of Baramulla district in Jammu and Kashmir witnessed a brutal terror attack this morning. The militants, believed to be members of terror group Jaish-e-Mohammed, targeted the administrative base of the Army in Jammu and Kashmir’s Uri region. As per reports, this is the biggest infiltration that rattled the Indian political and defence establishment. The ghastly attack took place around 5 AM on Sunday morning and militants were reported hurling grenades at the Army base.
Three ‘fidayeen’ groups reportedly infiltrated the Line of Control and entered Uri Army base. Out of the three groups, one squad went to Poonch, second targeted Uri sector and third group in still to be traced. It was reported that terrorists who sneaked in Uri, threw several grenades and opened fired at the base where 17 grenades exploded in just 3 minutes. As per reports by Army, all militants were gunned down by afternoon. Security was beefed up in the Valley following the attack. As per reports, 17 brave soldiers 30 were injured in the attack. Twitter was flooded with tweets condemning the worst attack in recent time.(ALSO READ: Uri terror attack: Four terrorists who attacked army base in Baramulla belonged to Pakistan based Jaish-e-Mohammed group)
The army death toll is even worst in Kashmir since a raid in December 2014, near Uri, in which eight soldiers and three police were killed. Out of the 17 bravehearts who were martyred in the brutal attack, 15 belonged from advance party of 6th battalion of the Bihar Regiment, and two belonged to 10th Dogra.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi took to twitter and condemned the deadly attack. In his tweet he assured the nation that those behind this despicable attack will not go unpunished. Home Minister Rajnath Singh cancelled his Russia and United States trip due to the situation prevailing in the Valley.(ALSO READ: Uri attack: 7th cross-border assault against Indian Army – Timeline of terror strikes in Jammu & Kashmir in 2016)
Here is what we know so far about the terror attack which has rattled the Indian political and defence establishment:
- The attack began at 5.30am on Sunday morning where militants breached the Line of Control to enter the camp in Uri, Baramulla in Jammu and Kashmir.
- The militants threw grenades and fired at the Army camp in Ura, setting the tents on fire and claiming lives of at least 13 jawans who were present in the shelter that time.
- Northern and western Commands of the Army and the BSF sound high alert along 744 km long LoC. An alert was also sounded 198 km International Border in Jammu and Kashmir.
- Alert was also sounded in Punjab after terrorist attack in J&K’s Uri, extra vigil along the international border.
- Terrorist groups are just front; these attacks are planned by ISI&Pak army. It’s state-sponsored attack: Former home secretary R K Singh was quoted by ANI.
- Ministry of home affairs issues alert for all airports across the country in wake of the terrorist attack in Uri.
- In the three-hour long battle, around 30 soldiers were reported to be injured. Those injured were immediately taken to a hospital in Srinagar.
- Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti said that the attack appeared to be aimed at creating a war-like situation in Jammu and Kashmir and said the state has always been worst victim of Indo-Pak hostility & its people have been paying a colossal price for same for past over six decades.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh cancelled his Russia and United States trip because of the situation in the Valley. He chaired a high-level meeting at his residence in New Delhi which was attended by NSA Chief Ajit Doval and heads of Intelligence Bureau and RAW.
- Rajnath Singh termed Pakistan a terrorist state and says it should be identified and isolated as such. “I am deeply disappointed with Pakistan’s continued and direct support to terrorism and terrorist groups”, he added.
- Director General of Military Operations, Lieutenant General Ranbir Singh was quoted saying by ANI that said the terrorists were all foreigners and there are clear signs of the role of the terror group Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM).
- The DGMO said all intelligence agencies and security forces are working in close synergy & necessary action is being taken against various inputs received. He also said that Indian army is prepared for any evil design by the adversary and will give a befitting response.
- United States ambassador to India, Richard Verma said that United States strongly condemns Uri Attack. “Our thoughts are with families of soldiers who lost their lives”, he said.
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar and Army Chief Gen Dalbir Singh visit Kashmir to review the overall security situation.
- President of India Pranab Mukherjee said India will not be cowed down by such attacks. “We will thwart the evil designs of terrorists and their backers”, he tweeted.
- In wake of the terror attack in Uri, Union Home Secretary Rajiv Mehrishi is scheduled to visit Srinagar tomorrow to take a stock of the security situation in Jammu and Kashmir.