Kanpur: City Police Superintendent Surendra Kumar Das, who was admitted to hospital in a critical condition earlier last week, passed away on Sunday, said ANI. The death came four days after Das was admitted to Regency Hospital here and traces of poison were found in his body. Hospital Chief Medical Superintendent Dr Rajesh Agarwal said, “We could not save Surendra Kumar Das and declared him dead at 12.19 PM. We were trying since morning, but his heart was not supporting. He took a strong dose of celphos poison. We tried our best but the dose was so strong that despite the best possible treatment we could not save him.” Also Read - Missing Journalist Found Dead in Car in Kanpur, Murder Suspected

On September 5, Das’ condition deteriorated at around 4 AM. His wife, a doctor, made him vomit and took him to the district hospital, where he was given a stomach wash.  Das, a 2014 batch IPS officer, was a native of Ballia and was posted as SP(East) in Kanpur. Das died of multiple organ failure. A suicide note was also reportedly recovered from his residence in which he had written that he was taking the extreme step as he was fed up with the daily family dispute. He added that no one should be responsible for his decision. Also Read - Diljit Dosanjh's Explosive Reply to Those Who Trolled Farmers For Eating Pizza During Protest

Das had been posted in Kanpur for the past couple of months and his wife was also living with him. Also Read - Army Colonel Booked For Raping Friend's Russian Wife in UP's Kanpur

The same day that Das consumed poison, a couple allegedly committed suicide by consuming some poisonous substance at the Kanpur railway station, police said. The inter-faith couple, Abid and Lalita, had eloped from Sikanderpur village on August 30, they said. According to SHO (Miranpur) Manoj Choudhry, the couple was found in a critical condition at the station and rushed to a hospital in Kanpur where they were declared dead. The parents of the girl had lodged a complaint of abduction against Abid after the couple eloped, police said.