New Delhi: Police has registered a case against a man for allegedly giving triple talaq to his wife over the phone over the dowry issue. The incident was reported from Uttar Pradesh. The man, identified as Chandbabu, currently lives in Saudi Arabia, police said.

The case has also been registered against his mother and sister on the complaint of the victim’s family at Ruphaideeha police station on Wednesday, police said. The victim family has alleged that the accused was demanding Rs 50,000 and a motorcycle as dowry.

On September 19, Modi government had cleared an ordinance which makes triple talaq a punishable offence. The Ordinance will now be sent to the President for his approval. After it comes to force, the Ordinance has to be approved by Parliament within six months. If the government fails to do this, the ordinance has to be re-promulgated.

Notably, the government had failed to pass the Triple Talaq Bill, which was passed by the Lok Sabha, could not be taken up for discussion and passage in the Rajya Sabha during the Monsoon Session and the Budget Session following reservations expressed by the Congress-led opposition.

The Supreme Court had in a verdict in August last year declared instant triple talaq illegal and unconstitutional. In a landmark 3-2 verdict, the top court found the practice un-Islamic and “arbitrary”, and disagreed that triple talaq was an integral part of religious practice. However, since the practice was still prevalent, the court had asked the government to bring a law against the practice.