Varanasi: Google CEO Sundar Pichai along with 17 others had been booked by Uttar Pradesh Police in Varanasi last week over a video that allegedly defamed Prime Minister Narendra Modi. However, the police later removed the tech giant officials’ names from the FIR, officials said on Friday. The names of Pichai and three other Google top officials were removed after they were found not involved in the case, reported PTI quoting a police official privy to the probe. Also Read - International Women's Day: Google Honours History of Firsts Achieved by Women Through Video Doodle

The FIR was lodged following a complaint by a local resident who claimed that he got over 8,500 threat calls on his mobile phone after he objected to the video that he first came across in a WhatsApp group and later on YouTube, where it has over five lakh views, the officials said. Also Read - Asol Poribartan Will Be Done in Delhi: Mamata Banerjee Replies To PM Modi Ahead of Bengal Polls

Besides the US-based Pichai, others named in the FIR are three Google India officials, including Sanjay Kumar Gupta, according to the FIR lodged at Bhelupur police station on February 6. Also Read - TMC Betrayed Ma, Mati, Manush, BJP Will Bring Asol Poribortan: PM Modi | 10 Points

Google’s response over the case is awaited.

Among the rest named in the FIR are Ghazipur district-based musicians who allegedly made the video song, a recording studio and a local music label company.

What’s in the FIR?

The FIR has been lodged under Indian Penal Code sections 504 (intentional insult with intent to provoke breach of the peace), 506 (criminal intimidation), 500 (defamation), 120B (party to a criminal conspiracy).

Charges under the Information Technology Act’s section 67 (publishing or transmitting obscene material) have also been invoked against the accused, according to the FIR, which has been accessed by PTI.

The names of Google officials were removed from the FIR the same day as it turned out that they were not involved in the case. Investigation on other points is underway, an official from the local Bhelupur police station told PTI.