A major fire broke out at Sulonguri Newtown area of Kolkata. According to the initial reports, 3 fire tenders have been rushed to the spot. This is the second major fire that broke in two consecutive days. On Wednesday, a fire broke out in Baghbazar area in West Bengal.Also Read - West Bengal Extends COVID Restrictions Till Jan 31, Allows 200 Guests At Weddings | Check SOPs Here

PTI reported officials as having said that the initial fire – likely caused by a short circuit – was exacerbated by gas cylinder blasts in successive houses which caused the fire to spread. Among buildings adjacent to the slum that were destroyed are the heritage Sarada Mayer Bari and a godown of books. Also Read - PM Modi To Hold High-Level Meeting With All State CMs Today Amid Covid Situation

The office of Sarada Mayer Bari, the residence of Sarada Devi – the wife of 19th century spiritual thinker Ramakrishna, was severely damaged in the fire as police rescued four or five monks stuck inside, a Kolkata police officer told PTI. Also Read - Omicron: Bengal Plans to Further Tighten COVID Curbs; Mamata To Attend Virtual Meeting With PM Modi Tomorrow

On Thursday, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee visited the slum at North Kolkata’s Bagbazar area and  assured all help from the government. Banerjee said that all the shanties will be built by the Kolkata Municipal Corporation (KMC) at the same place. She also instructed the KMC Mayor Firhad Hakim and TMC minister Sashi Panja to distribute clothes and food and blankets to the homeless.

“Almost 700 people are homeless and Firhad will distribute rice, lentils, milk for the children and clothes to the people. KMC will rebuild the shanties at the same place soon. All will stay at Bagbazar Women’s College,” Banerjee said.

West Bengal Minister Firhad Hakim took to Twitter and wrote, “The horrific scene of the fire at Bagbazar was heartbreaking. Somehow rushed to the spot in a hurry from Ganga Sagar. Our brave firefighters are working selflessly to curb the fire & we have arranged for makeshift camps for the residents.”