The Supreme Court on Wednesday said that the sealing and demolition of unauthorised constructions in the national capital will not stop. The top court’s order came after the Centre said that it had not instructed authorities to stop the sealing drive. Also Read - No Coercive Action Against Facebook Chief in Delhi Riots Case Till Oct 15: Supreme Court to Delhi Assembly
The top court bench comprising Justices M B Lokur and Deepak Gupta also directed that construction activity be stopped with immediate effect wherever any unauthorised construction is noticed or booked by authorities. Also Read - Provide Food & Monetary Support Urgently to Starving 1.2 Lakh Sex Workers: SC Directs States
The apex court said adequate police protection should be given to officials when they are carrying out a sealing drive against unauthorised constructions. Also Read - Sudarshan TV Row: 'Free Speech, Not Hatred,' Supreme Court Says Media Self-regulation System Toothless
Besides, the bench asked the Centre to contemplate blacklisting of builders, contractors and architects found responsible for unauthorised constructions.
Attorney General K K Venugopal told the bench that the Delhi Development Authority had launched a mobile application on July 9 where citizens can complain about illegal constructions and encroachments in the city.
So far, 431 complaints have been received in the mobile application and action taken on 138 such complaints, he said.
The bench directed that adequate publicity be given to the mobile application so citizens of Delhi are aware of it.
The top court is dealing with the issue of validity of the Delhi Laws (Special Provisions) Act, 2006 and subsequent legislations which protect unauthorised constructions from being sealed.
(With PTI inputs)