New Delhi: For the past two days historian Ramachandra Guha and foreign minister S Jaishankar are at loggerheads on Twitter. Issue: Jawaharlal Nehru and Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel.
Here’s all that happened:
1. Foreign minister S Jaishankar tweeted that Nehru didn’t want Patel in his Cabinet in 1947. He said he learnt it from a book that he released on Wednesday — a biography civil servant VP Menon.
2. Historian Ramachandra Guha countered and said that this is a myth. And then he slammed Jaishankar for promoting fake news. he also advised him to leave this to BJP’s IT cell to decide.
3. Go read books. Foreign minister S Jaishankar made time to give a sharp comeback to Ramachandra Guha’s attack. “Some foreign ministers do read books. May be a good habit for some professors too. In that case, strongly recommend the one I released yesterday,” he wrote.
4. Ramachandra Guha tweeted the letter dated August 1, 1947, in which Jawaharlal Nehru invited Vallabhbhai to join the new Cabinet.
5. “Since you have a PhD from JNU, you must surely have read more books than me,” the historian wrote.